PDA

View Full Version : Worried anxiety will cause me health problems or shorten my life?

Bexx1
12-03-14, 18:40
Hi everyone
Im worried about anxiety causing me health problems or reducing my life expectancy. You always here about how stress can cause problems like high blood pressure etc and so im worried about my anxiety. Anxiety is a thing I have every day and so im creating more anxiety by worrying about anxiety because im scared of it hurting me like damaging my heart or something! Can someone please shed some light on whether anxiety will hurt me? Thanks

NotCool
12-03-14, 18:56
This is probably not what you want to hear, but you kind of answered your question yourself already. Yes, stress and anxiety is bad for the body, it weakens the immune system, and causes a wide variety of other physical symptoms. It's a vicious cycle, but do not let that put you down and keep you trapped in this thought trap. Keep working on different ways to reduce your stress, whether by exercise, meditation, CBT therapy, balanced diet and sleep schedule, or better yet, a combination of all of these, and you will in the long term reduce stress, and minimize your chances of serious health problems as a consequence.

Bexx1
12-03-14, 19:07
I am seeing a counsellor for my other worries but this is like my main worry - anxiety over anxiety and how am I supposed to stop that? I am only young as well so I am scared of causing myself future problems as normally people dont get anxiety so young. I just dont know how I can reduce anxiety when its anxiety im scared of.

Phuzella
12-03-14, 19:20
Tell the counsellor how you feel.

Bexx1
12-03-14, 19:25
I will but I dont see her until 2 weeks time because she is on holiday

Phuzella
12-03-14, 19:42
Has she given you any homework stuff to do?

Bexx1
12-03-14, 20:06
She said no negative thinking so im trying to see positive at the moment

OCDelighted
12-03-14, 21:17
I used to worry that we only get so many heart beats in a lifetime and because mine was beating so rapidly and regularly that it would one day just stop because I'd literally used up my entitlement.

Ridiculous I know!

Bexx1
12-03-14, 21:25
That sounds like something I would come up with hehe