PDA

View Full Version : Got a letter today, please help!

Worrier13
13-03-14, 15:39
Hi! So as some of you may know, I live in a small town away from everything so I haven't been able to get a shrink eventhough my anxiety has, for the most part, ruined my life. But now, after a year, I got a letter that says that they accepted me to one psychologist in another town. This is so great!

But my question/worry is: In that letter they first want me to get an eeg. Does anyone have any idea what for? I'm 100% sure that I dont have epilepsy since I've had those tests and a brain mri. Does an eeg show anxiety? Could they be looking for something else - say - schizophrenia..? That is my biggest fear of all time :/ And I've been in constant panic because of it. So what other things can an eeg show beside epilepsy?

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

ps. Has anyone else had it, why and what was it like? Thanks!

Brunette
13-03-14, 15:51
You can't diagnose schizophrenia or anxiety with an EEG. If you've had tests for epilepsy I imagine it would be related to that. But if you're worried, call and ask.

Worrier13
13-03-14, 16:09
I did call them (it's hard to get them on the phone) and all they said was that it's not for epilepsy. So it must be able to show something else, but what? Scared :/

Brunette
13-03-14, 16:11
I guess you'll just have to sit tight and wait then. Try not to worry too much.

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-14, 23:03
They should be open as to why you need it. It can be used for sleep disorders.

It seems more about seizures from what I gather.

Perhaps rather than ask "is it for this?" in a closed question form, make them tell you why by asking in an open question form e.g. "what is it for?". Sometimes Ive found receptionists fob you off.

nomorepanic
13-03-14, 23:22
I had an EEG just to check everything was ok and nothing was found