PDA

View Full Version : I'm not even sure anymore..

Paradise24
13-03-14, 16:30
Hello. I am new to the board. I've been on here a few times as I feel I have some kind of health anxiety. However, there are a few things that have been freaking me out a lot lately that has tempted me to to post and see what you guys think.

A bit about myself, I'm 24, 5'7 and 227 lbs, former smoker. I have a physical job that requires lifting, etc.

Now onto the symptoms..I had two dizzy spells about a month and a half ago. (havent had any since) These caused me to make an appointment with my doctor for a general physical. I was feeling fine with no anxiety whatsoever at this time. I was also a little heavier at this time (243). Now during the appointment, he didn't find anything wrong except that he noted I had slightly blood pressure 148/78 and issued an ekg and blood tests to see if my dizzy spells were heart related. The blood tests came back perfect. The ekg came back with minor changes what he really didn't make an issue of. He wanted to see me lose weight and make lifestyle changes. Well after this, I started to freak out with thoughts and have (minor) chest pains once in a while followed by rapid heartbeat. Started having trouble falling and staying asleep. My thoughts usually led me to believe I was going to need a heart transplant, etc. Scary stuff! I called and he prescribed me Zoloft. I took it for three days and hated it, discontinued use.

Well I made the lifestyle changes with diet. I cut out the energy drinks, sugars, fast food, everything basically. I returned to him about a week ago. They noted I lost 15 lbs in a month. It seems easy! Right away I was happy with that and attributed it to my diet. I have been able to sleep using melatonin, just not stay asleep. My blood pressure lowered (132/72) because of it, my pulse was lower, and I was feeling pretty good. He said he wanted to just check with me in 6 months.

Now this is where it gets worse. Even though I got good news, I still can't sleep well and now I have this pain that comes and goes in my left forearm for about a week now. Also have this pain in the left side of my chest when I turn a certain way or twist. (Did a bit of research and I now know that heart pain isn't from movement and this is most likely exoskeletal). My mind is constantly thinking of this stuff and making myself more and more aware. Now my thoughts are going to bad places. I keep thinking maybe it's cancer or a blood clot. I attribute the cancer theory to the fact that I lost 15 lbs in a month just by changing diet with minimal exercise and maybe instead of the diet, it could be some kind of cancer. My fiance, though being very supportive, I feel is getting tired of hearing of it. It's driving me nuts and I feel like I keep bugging my doctor. He prescribed me ambian today that I'll go pick up. I have yet to talk to him about the chest and arm pain because I wanted to see if it would go away on it's own if it was just something strained.

My question to you, does this sound like a guy with actual life threatening health problems or is this a case of health anxiety? It's just weird how all these symptoms and thoughts popped up out of nowhere at me. And what would you suggest? How did you make it through? I'm trying to stop the whole "Dr Google" syndrome, as it makes it way worse. Thanks in advance. It actually felt good to just type all that and let it all out.

Fishmanpa
13-03-14, 17:32
Hi Paradise,

You'll find a lot of support and info on this site. Utilize the search feature and check out the links on the page. There's a ton of good stuff.

Of course, none of us are doctors so we can't give you a definitive diagnosis. The fact that your doctor is pleased and told you to come back in six months is essentially a clean bill of health. I would trust that over anything Dr. Google says. Speaking of Dr. Google, it's almost like an addiction to so many here. The best thing you can do for yourself is avoid it like the plague!

What you describe is indicative of what many HA sufferers describe. It's good that you're starting on the Zoloft and I can tell you from experience that Ambien helps in getting a good night's sleep. Just be sure you have a full 8-9 hours devoted as it will make you feel a bit drowsy otherwise.

Keep up the good work concerning your nutrition, start getting out (now that the weather is finally breaking) for walks and look into some type of therapy (one on one, CBT etc.) to help you deal with some of the patterns that are developing. You actually sound quite rational in your post and you recognize what's happening so now would be a good time to learn some Dragon Slaying techniques to keep the beast at bay.

Positive thoughts

Havefaithx
13-03-14, 17:34
Hi Welcome to the NMP

I think most of us have had the heart worries with Health Anxiety obviously i'm not a dr, but i have had a lot of the symptoms u have had, u should be feeling reassured with ur last visit to ur dr, it was all good new, well done on the weight loss and quitting smoking. I still to this day have, skipped heartbeats, pain in chest, tingling in arm etc, I have had all the checks and no that my heart is fine, with Health Anxiety you have got to learn to trust yourself, and ur dr, it is hard but it's the only way you will get better go through the steps in ur head when u feel the pains etc, if i move does it hurt? yes its muscle related, am i anxious even subconsciously yes/maybe fast heart rate etc, it works for me. good luck x

Paradise24
13-03-14, 18:05
Thanks to you both for the fast reply! It's amazing how it can make you feel to realize you aren't the only one out there feeling a certain way. Any and all tips are appreciated!