PDA

View Full Version : low dose citalopram/so sic

weplant
13-03-14, 18:57
I am on day 5 of citalopram and feel horrible..I am on a low liquid dose (very sensitive to meds)..The nausea is awful and now I am getting a bad headache, also very dizzy, some vertigo and my vision seems off..Anyone suffer with these side effects..I really need help. I have been housebound for over 1 year due to anxiety/panic/fear..The worst part is that I feel almost as bad at home..It is not 'attacks', it is a constant feeling of not being well, always dizzy (although it has tripled since on the meds), always have pain in my chest, my chest i tight, I feel spacey, like I am going to keel over. This is how I live everyday, so I really want these meds to work..I tried prozac for 6 weeks, no help...Since on the meds feeling really bad, also I feel like my body is ridget, especially my upper body, like I am super tense all the time and this headache and neck pain are really bad...what a mess. Help...thanks for listening..debbie

cartwheels
13-03-14, 19:19
the side effects are normal, i too suffered with . hang in there the first two weeks are the worse.

weplant
13-03-14, 19:22
Thank you so much..I just can't believe I feel this sick on such a low dose.. I will hang on...I want this med to work so bad...thanks again..

Marty_67
13-03-14, 20:53
Hey Debbie, what's your dose?

Side effects should pass, hang in there :)

ynys
13-03-14, 22:45
I was put on 10mg two weeks and felt exactly the same, almost went to hospital! Stick with it it does get better :)

weplant
13-03-14, 22:55
It is almost embarassing to tell you my dose..I am on .5ml which is not even 2mg..I am very med sensitive,so I am on the liquid form..My doc wants to get me to 5mg over the few weeks, and I may stay there..I am so glad this forum is here...

ynys
13-03-14, 22:59
Me too, keep us posted there is always someone on hear to talk to, hang in there

Emphyrio
14-03-14, 00:49
5mg is enough for some people. I managed fine on 5mg - I had to quit it though because I had blurred vision and cognitive side effects whilst taking it.

jillyb
14-03-14, 07:08
I'm a first timer on any antidepressant. I'm on citalopram too. Like others have said, it does improve. I started on 10mg, then 15mg and now 20mg. The side effects are not pleasant but just about everyone on here says hang on in there! I had got to the point where I just knew I had to try something because, like you, I wasn't living my life. I am in week 5 now and starting to feel the old me coming back. The increased anxiety did come as a bit of a shock as I wasn't expecting it, despite what everyone said. I also think that because we suffer from anxiety anyway we do tend to focus on every sensation in our bodies. Try and keep busy, be kind to yourself and hopefully you'll soon start feeling better x

Xena1971
14-03-14, 13:32
Hi Debbie
This is my 3rd go on the citalopram roundabout and I'm finding it the hardest of them all to get back on! I was put straight onto 20 mg as they thought I could cope but my brain went into meltdown Thankfully saw my own Gp who put me back down to 10mg From previous experience the side effects do pass but playing the waiting game is very hard You will get through this and come out the other side Don't worry about strengths of medication we are all different that's why they make different strengths The most important thing is finding the right strength for you Hang in there and keep posting This is a great site and I have found strength from people here Hope this helps
Ken

weplant
14-03-14, 15:00
Everyone here is so great..Thank you so much for all the support. I have suffered from anxiety most of my life..20 years ago my 11 year old son was killed and my life took a spiral downward. I miss him everyday..We started a business in his memory (a plant nursery, we are growers) and that is how I continued..Even thru the toughtest times I was still a functioning person..I left my house (even if I was crying all the time)..Lost my mom last year and that did something to me. I was with her while she passed and it made me realize what happened to my son and I have not been ok since then.. I feel as though I am going to die all the time. Dizzy, weak, chest pains, can't get my breath, feeling disconnected and then if I try and leave the house it is 10 times worse..I think I have stayed in the house so much that when I go outside now everything seems strange, the ground seems uneven, I feel like I am looking thru a funny mirror (everything is distorted)..I know I have to desensitize myself and get back into the world..I feel as though I have become afraid of everything...I used to be the fun person, loved to go out dancing and socialize..Now I spend the day trying not to dial 911 and go to the hospital..I am so sorry for ranting on so long..Again, thank you for being here..debbie

Marty_67
14-03-14, 16:59
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Debbie

It's lovely to meet you, I am sure you will find plenty of help and advice on here.

Are you taking Cit?

weplant
14-03-14, 17:16
Yes Marty..I just started taking Cit..a very, very low dose, as I am very sensitive to meds. I am on Liquid cit and only up to 2mg..Eventually will get up to 5mg and that is probobly as high as I will go..I am having really bad nausea and headaches, even at this low dose. I am also taking .5 ativan twice a day to help..It has only been 6 days so I know I have to hang in there..I tried Prozac for 6 weeks and it just made be more anxious..Thank you for your response, debbie

Marty_67
14-03-14, 18:32
Hey Debbie, we are all in this together mate.

Hang in there