PDA

View Full Version : Sad CBT session

Button1
13-03-14, 19:36
I've now had 16 sessions with my current CBT therapist and we've agreed that this type of therapy is probably not the one for me as I'm not making a great deal of progress. She thinks that a different form of therapy, psychodynamic therapy which is a longer term treatment, would be more helpful. She's referring me to a psychologist for an assessment but thinks its unlikely that there will be any provision for this type of help on the health service.

So next week is our last session. I feel so sad, partly because she has been just a fantastic support and partly because I'm once again at a low ebb after a total of 30 CBT sessions and now I won't have any therapy it's hard to know how things will pan out for me.

There's no real point to this post really, just wanted to get it out x

RoseEve
14-03-14, 00:05
<3 we are here for you :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-14, 01:37
Its available according to NHS Choices if you are referred.

From there its all about being within a service area, funding, waiting lists, etc. In my city its a 12 month waiting list but its always been that way before CBT came along. Ask them about when you can start, hopefully it will have better provisions in your region.

anxious_thoughts
14-03-14, 02:23
I absolutely understand why you would feel sad about this.

But just know we are all here for you, and you will get better <3

Leslie735
14-03-14, 02:51
Hang in there! You will find what works for you. *hugs*

Dying_Swan
14-03-14, 10:57
Completely understand how hard this is, especially when you've had several sessions and have developed a bond with the therapist. I've also recently been told I need psychodynamic therapy but there is no NHS provision here, that I can tell. However, there is provision for this type of therapy in some areas so it may just be that you can access it free where you are. It's great that you are being referred to a psychologist who should be able to point you in the right direction.
Are you able to consider going private? Several therapists/organisations offer a sliding scale of fees depending on your income.

Anyway, here if you need to chat.

yenool
14-03-14, 13:57
Its available according to NHS Choices if you are referred.

Button1 try not to feel bad. CBT isn't right for everyone, although many people would have you believe it is the cure for almost every MH problem it really is NOT.

According to all the online info and guidelines psychodynamic type of therapy is a recognised treatment and should be funded/available. However the reality is trying to access it is much easier said than done due to cost reasons. CBT is (relatively) cheap and has a large 'evidence base', so it has become almost the only type of therapy actually on offer as far as I can tell.

I've been banging my head against a brick wall for probably over a year now trying to get counselling via the NHS.

If anyone in the has managed to access longer term counselling/psychotherapy via the NHS then please share the details.

Round in circles
14-03-14, 15:14
Around here we get kicked out after 6-12 cbt sessions. I know how crappy it feels when despite doing your best, you get discharged due to "lack of progress". I've been there too. I'm now discharged back to my GP due to having no ongoing diagnostic issues. Yep.. I feel totally cured and in charge of my life.. Not. No meds, no therapy. Nothing!

It's hard when you feel thrust into limbo by those you hoped would help you through things. I hope things work out for you, and you manage to get the psychodynamic therapy that was suggested.

yenool
14-03-14, 20:01
Around here we get kicked out after 6-12 cbt sessions. I know how crappy it feels when despite doing your best, you get discharged due to "lack of progress".

I wouldn't even buy that line about 'lack of progress'. 6-12 sessions is the norm around here. Basically short-term 'intervention' delivered through the IAPT service.

They don't do long-term treatment or complex problems and they are just a barrier to accessing other treatment IMHO.

If you are trying 100% to engage in therapy and it isn't working then something isn't right - the model of therapy, the therapist or whatever.

Round in circles
14-03-14, 21:11
You're totally right yenool. It's all down to time constraints and money. I point blank asked for long term talking treatment. At first I got fobbed off then downright lied to, then later I was told that they simply don't offer long term treatment on the NHS. That said, to them the words don't and won't seem to be interchangeable.

The final straw was when I was directed to the bacp website and told to go private, with no guidance on the type of therapy appropriate for me.

Now I've been discharged back to the GP, they've finally got me off their books, like they've been trying to do for a long time.

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-14, 23:07
Yenool & Round in circles,

Its the same in my city.

I was referred down the IAPT route and despite being told by my GP I needed CBT as the issues would take time, I couldnt access it. IAPT make you go through Level 2 self help first. The L2 therapist told me I would need CBT and more than she could offer but they allow access to Level 3 High Intensity Therapy (CBT) until you've done L2.

Any help is better than none, so I went through L2 to then be told the referral to L3 is 3 months. So, I asked why I was not already in the queue since my first assessment 6 weeks before said L3 was needed to be "regardless, the process they are told has to be a referral at the end of a care period". So, IAPT silly rules and mismanagement.

I raised it again as my GP said could call the Level 4 pyschotherapy team, which looking back shouldnt have been done imo, and they tried to speed up L3. L3 said no chance but called me the next day to say they had a place. It took 90 days to get to L2 fifst assessment when its supposed to be a max of 30 which I always told them I put down to my GPs surgery staff since he wouldnt comment on it.

I said I didnt want to be pushed up the queue at someone elses expense and said I would go private inbetween or just wait but I wasnt pleased with the bureaucracy. My job at the time funnily enough was improving services in the private sector by removing such pointless management policies so it meant I knew how to challenge them...with common sense really!

After L3 though, its L4 with a 12 month wait. I appreciate that they would put you in the queue there, but for me thats right. I wonder how many people are known to need L4 whilst in L3 but are delayed further?

The therapists were great, it just wasnt enough for so many issues for me. They sent reports to GP who hadnt read them, just looks on the computer when I go. When I asked about L4 he said "I dont like referring to L4 as it can create more issues than it solves". I read this as "I want my list down" because I dont believe the L4 people would work so unethically!

So, I havent see my GP for approx 8 months, work at it my own way using what I have learnt and use resources like this site and books. Im still on meds and put repeat prescriptions in and guess what...Ive heard nothing at all from my surgery.

When I started CBT, I was told its X sessions and thats it. Its just a quick fix attempt by the NHS.

Button1
15-03-14, 00:09
I'm genuinely happy with how I've been treated so far. I've had alot of CBT and haven't had to wait for TOO long to get it. And it hasn't worked and I don't want to take the place of someone for whom it could be successful. But its just now that this one thing hasn't worked for me I'm in no mans land. Well no, that's not true. I could pay and go private but I want to use that money for my son, I'd feel like I was robbing him somehow. It's just really hard.

HoneyLove
15-03-14, 00:40
CBT is ideal for anxiety because it focuses on the unhealthy thought patterns that are usually a key part of anxiety issues. Longer term talk therapy is more suited to people who have complex issues to work through and who need to explore what's going on in their lives in order to heal. I often think a combination of the two is best.

If you haven't had success with CBT then you might consider neurolinguistic programming. NLP is another therapy focused on thought patterns and lifestyle, but it's very solution orientated and practical, I've found it particularly helpful. Adlerian therapy is also very proactive, rather than psychotherapy.

I would suggest going private if you can afford it at all. Good therapists will work with what you can afford, even if that's only one session a month or every few weeks. It's worth having a look around.

anthrokid
15-03-14, 02:54
Hi Button,

So sorry to hear that you've had to make this choice. It must be difficult parting with your therapist after such a long time of support. As someone training as a psychologist, I must say I am surprised that you've been through 30 sessions until it was decided that this wasn't the right therapy for you. I'm sorry this has been such a long journey for you. I don't know how the UK system works unfortunately, but CBT shouldn't be the ONLY therapy covered by the NHS. There will be psychologists in the NHS, but you will likely need a referral from your GP who will be able to refer you through to one who is in the NHS rather than a private referral.

Round in circles
15-03-14, 15:06
MyNameIsTerry, I thought there were a lot of hoops to jump through here, but that sounds like a complete nightmare. I keep saying if I'd had real help in the beginning, I might very well have gotten back to being a productive member of society. Instead it was one band aid approach after another, and now 15 years later, I wonder what happened to my life..

yenool
16-03-14, 08:47
The final straw was when I was directed to the bacp website and told to go private, with no guidance on the type of therapy appropriate for me.

Now I've been discharged back to the GP, they've finally got me off their books, like they've been trying to do for a long time.

This is what happened to me after my assessment. A 'signpost' to the BACP website and local charities. No advice on what type of therapist I should contact or how to tell if they were suitable/reputable.

I feel if you don't have some kind simple phobia that can be fixed in half a dozen sessions of CBT then they just want to get you 'off the books' ASAP.

Also how can the average person afford the rates charged by private services. It is anywhere from £30 to £60 per session as far as I could tell and the cheaper ones appeared to have very limited qualifications. Even the charities have suggested 'donation' amounts which are beyond my means.