PDA

View Full Version : I survived the first 3 weeks on Citalopram

ClearBlueSky
14-03-14, 04:47
Hi Guys,

I promised myself that when i was feeling up to it, that I would post something on here to pass on things that helped me with the 'start up' effects of citalopram 20mg. I actually don't know how I got through the past three weeks (mainly the first two). The rollercoaster of anxiety, depression, paranoia, euphoria and side effects at times seemed too much to bare. The first few days for me weren't too bad. I actually thought - oh this isn't pleasant, but I can take it. However, come about day 6, my nasuea and sweatiness and jitters started to take full effect and I seriously wanted to curl up in a ball. I am a primary school teacher and somehow managed to come to school everyday and put on a brave face anddrag myself through it (God knows how), but I just wanted to let you know that things DO get easier. I am still a long way from in the clear, but my anxiety has lessened dramatically and most of the side effects have gone (although some of them took the best partof 3 weeks to actually go). I am still waking up with morning anxiety and feelings of dread, but I am reminding myself that I have come this far and I am definitely alot better than I was a few weeks ago. One of the most important things I need to stress is that you need to seek other help. These forums helped me alot, but they could also bring me down because so many people on here post negative stuff. The meds are only a bandaid and you need to find ways of surviving happily without them. I am starting counselling next week and have ordered some self help books online. One website that I can't recommend highly enough is called Anxietycoach.com. What the guy says just makes so much sense to me, and gave me a strange feeling of empowerment over my own thogughts. It is important to remind yourself not to be 'scared' of your own thoughts. They are only thoughts, not actions and they can't hurt anyone (or you). The more you learn to acknowledge and accept (not run away from) these thoughts, the less you will fear them. The less you fear them and accept them, the less anxiety you will have.
Things that helped me get through the initial period:

Nausea- I suffered from severe nausea, and used some anti nausea tablets which were probably mainly placebo, but they made me feel calmer.
Exercise- I noticed a significant reduction in my anxiety after exercising.
Positive thoughts- I WILL get better, I already am getting better. I will not let this 'win' and take over my life. I am in control.
Talking to someone- A huge weight seems to be lifted after I speak to someone about how Im feeling. I don't know why, but it helps. And there are so many people around you that will be or will have been through it.
I KNOW you don't want to, but try and get out of the house. Even for a little bit. It will help distract you from how rubbish you are feeling and makes you feel less down about yourself because you aren't doing nothing at all- which can make you feel worthless.
NO ONE NOTICES that you are suffering unless you want them too. You may think "everyone will see how rubbish I look and will think Im crazy". Not the case.

I have to run back to my class now, but if I can offer any advice, please feel free to respond to this thread.

Also, get onto anxietycoach.com and have a read.

Bec xxx

MyNameIsTerry
14-03-14, 05:26
Well done. I've been on Citalopram years ago and it wasn't pleasant at first. The first day or so was fine but by the end of the week I could barely sleep due to the increased anxiety.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Just think, if you can do all that and deal with the challenge of a class of kids as well as stay on top of exercise, nothing can stop you!

If you are looking for useful books & therapies, try Mindfulness meditation. Mindfulness is used in CBT a lot but since there has been a Mindfulness Based CBT (MBCBT) created which therapists are using. It's just got more meditation emphasis in there. If you are interested, have a look for Jon Kabat-Zinn or prof Mark Williams (UK) who seem to be the main players. They have both produced books and the one from MW has an 8 week course with progressive weekly meditations in it.

Just another tool for you that seems to get good reviews.

Mindfulness and it's meditation come from Buddhism so it's non religious and can be used by anyone.

Something I always think of, who ever heard or a stressed Buddhist monk!!!

ClearBlueSky
14-03-14, 12:05
Thank you Terry. I appreciate the advice. I have always thought meditation was something I would benefit from, so I will be sure to look these guys up and see what I can get my hands on.
:)

SarahH
14-03-14, 12:19
Well Done..... you could also read "Sane New World" by Ruby Wax... a brilliant and witty read about Mindfulness and great explanation of why we are so anxious in the modern world.

Sarah

GingerFish
14-03-14, 17:00
Well done for making it through citalopram. I was recently prescribed it and took a horrible reaction to it and Valium barely calmed me down from the panics and suicidal feelings I was having on it so I've ditched it and dealing with panics a different way.

MrAndy
14-03-14, 17:24
Well done Bec