PDA

View Full Version : Scan

maybrooke
14-03-14, 09:49
I've had an abdominal scan which includes kidneys & bladder, would dr been able to tell from that if I'd got a big ovarian cyst?

Button1
14-03-14, 12:35
Yes x

3tikes
14-03-14, 13:33
Maybrooke, I'm glad you managed to get a scan. Yes I'm pretty certain they would see an ovarian cyst, that's why I've been referred. I have mine on Tuesday x

maybrooke
14-03-14, 14:28
It's a scan I had a few months ago, as it was an abdominal scan , but scanned kidneys & bladder, gallbladder, pancreas ,they didn't scan ovaries, but was thinking if I had a big cyst , would it be captured on scan? X

Fishmanpa
14-03-14, 14:44
it was an abdominal scan

Are the ovaries not part of the female abdominal anatomy? ;)

Positive thoughts

kirstynic
14-03-14, 14:52
I know there are 2 types of ultrasound and I think the transvaginal one looks more closely at the lower region of a female body. Tho I would think the abdominal one can see it too x

maybrooke
14-03-14, 14:58
The abdominal scan scans liver, gallbladder , pancreas, kidneys & bladder. The pelvis scan scans ur pelvis, ovaries ect, but not sure if the scan I had abdominal scan would catcher a cyst if I had one in the ovaries if it was a big cyst.

Fishmanpa
14-03-14, 15:51
The abdominal scan scans liver, gallbladder , pancreas, kidneys & bladder. The pelvis scan scans ur pelvis, ovaries ect, but not sure if the scan I had abdominal scan would catcher a cyst if I had one in the ovaries if it was a big cyst.

Best to contact your doctor and just ask. I would "assume" that would be the case just based on the location of the ovaries but I'm not medically qualified to answer that for sure.

Positive thoughts

emlica
14-03-14, 16:45
If it's scanning your bladder and kidneys then I'd be amazed if it didn't pick up a large cyst. Not small ones, probably, but small ones don't usually cause symptoms and LOADS of women have a small cyst every so often. I'd have thought if it was big enough to cause symptoms it would be visible on any abdo scan.

maybrooke
14-03-14, 17:19
Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated x