PDA

View Full Version : Hi. Newcomer here..

panic_deep
14-03-14, 09:55
Hi.

I'm a newcomer to this forum.

Nice to meet you all.

I've been struggling with depression for many years now. Recently, it developed into full-blown anxiety-attack, panic attacks sometimes.

I have been seeing a psychotherapist since June last year. It helps. He knows his job.

But......I am still far from getting better.

One aspect of my problem is I live in a country where this issue is still not handled efficiently : FINLAND. The issue of depression is widely-known here, but they have no effective methods of dealing with it.........besides pumping one full of pills.

I moved here 11 years ago. The adjustment was cruel. A few times I thought about packing it in, and leaving. But, I stuck with it. I learned the local language........got a full-time job......tried my best to involve myself in social networks, so I could meet and make new friends. etc, etc

I thought this would solve everything. It sure made it easier, but there was so much lacking. My biggest problem is a lack of friends. I have nobody to whom I can turn to for help...........or just someone to call up and talk, meet for coffee. Just a friendly face.

I'm a 38-year-old, recently-divorced male, living alone

I am still lucid enough to realize that the "living alone" part is probably the worst aspect of my life now. I find that I cannot stay in the apartment more than 5 minutes without falling into an abyss-like anxiety episode, where I lose touch with reality.

Lately, I have been trying my best to avoid coming home to early. I go to work, and then I am done, I try to stay outside as much as I can. I even walk home sometimes (a distance of 15 km), just so that I wont get home too early, where I'll be alone again. When I eventually get home, I am too tired to do anything besides take a shower and collapse into bed

Weekends are the worst. Having no job to go to on saturdays and sundays, I simply go out. Walk.........jog...........sit in a cafe or bar...........anything, to avoid staying home (((((

I came on this forum to talk. Meet like-minded people, and just talk :(

I cant talk to anyone where I live (besides my therapist)

mark711
14-03-14, 10:42
Hi,
I know how that feels not having anyone to share those feelings and thoughts with,it can be so overwhelming.
You will find a lot of support on this site I know I have and will continue to,just logging on and seeing the struggles other have gives me the reassurance that its not just me.
If you would like to e mail etc I can give you my details.You may also find the chatroom helps but I find it to much at the moment .
Anyway take care and maybe chat to you
Mark.

panic_deep
14-03-14, 10:48
Hi,
I know how that feels not having anyone to share those feelings and thoughts with,it can be so overwhelming.
You will find a lot of support on this site I know I have and will continue to,just logging on and seeing the struggles other have gives me the reassurance that its not just me.
If you would like to e mail etc I can give you my details.You may also find the chatroom helps but I find it to much at the moment .
Anyway take care and maybe chat to you
Mark.

Hi Mark,

thanks for your reply

Sure, I'd like to email.

Send me your details in a PM (not sure if PM works here)

cokesmyth5
14-03-14, 14:45
Hi
I know all about feeling anxious when all alone.
I don't think I'm managing it very well despite my best efforts.
I am happy to email if fancy chatting anytime.

Take care

from a female who wishes she knew far less about dep/anx

panic_deep
15-03-14, 11:36
Hi
I know all about feeling anxious when all alone.
I don't think I'm managing it very well despite my best efforts.
I am happy to email if fancy chatting anytime.

Take care

from a female who wishes she knew far less about dep/anx

Hi cokesmyth

And thanks for your welcoming message

Please PM me your email address. Let's chat anytime

I feel so much better just being able to talk to someone