PDA

View Full Version : Amoxycillin causing child to be depressed/low?

ankietyjoe
14-03-14, 17:09
I know the title sounds a little ridiculous, but I'm worried about my little man.

He's been ill on and off since Christmas. Couple of weeks with a cough that started to clear up, then came back etc etc. It happens. He's 5.

Last week it started to come back again and as I'd just had a nasty bout of bronchitis we took him to the GP. The GP thought a course of Amoxycillin would be a good idea.

He's actually thrown up a couple of times during the course and had a belly ache a few times as well. The advice I've read seems to say just keep taking the AB's which he finished last night.

Last night however he threw up again after being asleep for a couple of hours after complaining of a belly ache before bed. Last night was also the last dose.

This morning he's woken up complaining of a headache and his mood is very low. He doesn't want to eat and just wants to lay down. He's ok playing xbox and watching TV, but doesn't want to do anything else.

He's been ill many, many times before, but I've never seen his mood plunge like this before.

It's just horrible to see :weep:

Fishmanpa
14-03-14, 17:14
Sorry he's feeling bad :( I can't imagine him being anything else than feeling sick. He just finished the meds and has been tossing his cookies. It's no wonder! Give him a day or so and I'm sure he'll be fine.

Positive thoughts

TooMuchToLiveFor
14-03-14, 17:24
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this…..we have been on a long siege of sick, little monkeys here too….some of it is still hanging on…..

It is possible the antibiotic gave him a bit of a belly ache- and if you see diarrhea it most likely just means it killed some of his "good" bacteria and upset his flora (I believe that is the correct term.)

If you aren't concerned dairy would make him too mucous-y I would suggest giving him some good Greek yogurt or probiotics (I am not a doctor- just a mom) to help his gut recover.

I have quite a wild, little man (4 1/2) and it is so hard to see them lethargic and not themselves….., but it is a perfect time for cuddling this weekend and watching lots of cartoons together. :)

ankietyjoe
14-03-14, 17:46
Thanks for the support guys.

You're probably right and it's nothing, but you know when you go through dark times yourself it's all too easy to superimpose that onto your darling little spawn :doh:

HalfJack
14-03-14, 17:52
Aww poor bub.
If he's playing xbox I wouldn't worry at all! Hope he feels better soon.

When I was on it the Dr told me to take it with a big mean, a glass of water and to have one of those pro-biotic yoghurt things a day (pretty much every antibiotic I've ever been on makes me sick).

ankietyjoe
14-03-14, 18:53
Aww poor bub.
If he's playing xbox I wouldn't worry at all! Hope he feels better soon.

When I was on it the Dr told me to take it with a big mean, a glass of water and to have one of those pro-biotic yoghurt things a day (pretty much every antibiotic I've ever been on makes me sick).

I've just a really bad time on some antibiotics too so I'm probably just overthinking it.