PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Excessive Swallowing

laudatod
27-11-06, 21:43
I am new to this forum and was really happy to see that others have the same symptoms as I do. I think I have a genaral anxiety disorder or maybe OCD. The main problem is the excessive swallowing which I can't get rid of. It started in college about 10 years ago and comes and goes. I haven't had it for awhile until just recently. It seems like it always starts in the Fall, around September. Anyways, it just feels really good to have someone to talk to about it because I haven't told anyone, friends not even family. Everything in this post is exactly what I feel. It seems almost like I can't control this and I get really exhausted mentally trying to control my thoughts. Maybe it has to do my job which is not very challenging. I don't know, I just get really worried. Does anyone have any suggestions or help. I have heard that Paxil may help with this.

Thank you so much,
Dominik

honeybee3939
27-11-06, 22:54
Hi Dominik

Welcome to NMP, i hope we can be of help to you, you are not alone,

Here are a few posts that may help:

throat/swallowing
MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957)
Swallowing / throat problems / Being strangled! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4476)
What has suddenly changed, feel awful! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3518)
Really frightend of Swallowing, (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3576)
A strange one, anyone else experienced similar?? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3741)
throat !!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3857)
Strange Lump in Throat (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3929)
Throat, improvements, questions (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4008)
Problems with eating and Swallowing, (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4175)
update on throat problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4270)
Swallowing fear (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4341)
Horrible Throat Feelings! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4396)

Love

Andrea
xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Rachel Ball
30-11-06, 23:59
Hi there
Welcome to my world!! My swallowing problem started just under six years ago (it is our anniversary on April 5th!). I can remember exactly where I was when it happened, in a meeting, feeling a bit nervous then all of a sudden I noticed my swallowing, it worried me and that was it, it just seemed to implant onto my brain. I really thought I was the only one in the world who had it and it scared me to death. You would swallow and then be waiting for the next one to come and basically my whole focus was on a very little area of my body, like a radar.
Unless you have experienced it, it is very hard to describe how it makes you feel, it is so consuming.
Anyway, believe me, it is so common. Like you, I never really told anyone, mainly through fear that they might 'catch it' - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! It is definetely a form of OCD, commonly known as a 'pure O', meaning it is purely obsessional with no rituals or compulsions involved. I have loads I could discuss on this subject, feel free to contact me anytime. Rachel.

smileyfacedkill
31-03-08, 20:59
Rachel, I know exactly what you are saying. I suffer from this, and I also haven't told anyone about it in fear that they may contact it.

It's something mental. I'm not sure you can get cured from it like a person that has a leg injury can get surgery.

The only way to get rid of it and these type of obessions is by not thinking about it, and when it occurs not focusing on it. Also, the more you latch it onto different parts of your life the more it sticks around. The key, I think, is to go on living your life as if it isn't occuring.

It really came consume you. I've had similar OCDs like this, but this one has been the toughest to overcome.

I'm currently trying to seek ways to mentally control this. Much the same way that when you focus on it it comes to you, I'm trying to see if there is a method of thinking that when focusing on it can lead to controlling it.

slondon
20-04-08, 21:37
hi to all
if anyone has any clues about this obsession to swallow please help. i am petrified that i cant and that i wont be able to and then die. keep checking and waiting for next one.
help. it is awful.
s :weep:

dannic1
24-05-08, 04:41
It is comforting to find others on here who understand this particular type of OCD. I, too, remember when it first hit me. I was watching a soap opera and remember seeing the actor lying in a hospital bed. I saw him swallowing a lot and then it's as though my brain "got stuck" on the act of swallowing. I was also under a lot of stress at the time. It went away when I graduated high school, although I had other little OCD quirks along the way. I had 26 years pretty much free of the swallowing OCD, but it came back in around 2006 under more stress. I'm seeing an OCD therapist - we are working to do ERP therapy on my other, smaller issues first. I do think that exercising has helped me some. I understand all too well about the "mental" ritual behind it and the "all consuming" part. I just want my "normal" life back again. If it's any help, chewing gum will actually make it go away for me. Don't ask me the why's or how's of the logic behind it, but I've somehow trained my brain to relax and stop focusing on it when I chew gum. Just having a piece in my mouth really helps - I don't have to really even actively chew it. I just relax and re-focus. If I try and keep myself busy and my mind pre-occupied with something else, that really helps as well. I'm a woman of great faith and believe that I'll be healed of this again. I didn't realize how common it actually is. My job is also not challenging right now and I don't think that helps it any. I was intrigued to hear it called "Pure O". Would it not be regular OCD, because we have the compulsion to swallow, although sometimes I can control mine well? Late at night is when it seems to come on stronger. Has anyone tried medication for this? I saw Paxil mentioned earlier. I tried biofeedback - helped with the anxiety, but not necessarily with the obsessive thinking part. "This too shall pass."

God bless. Everyone is in my thoughts and my prayers. You are not alone in this. We shall overcome. I have had it go away before, so there is hope.

danni

daisyk
04-06-08, 15:03
I'm 16 and have suffered from panic attacks and OCD for years. It comes and goes really, but last year I went to Australia with my family and since then I've been going through a very bad phase. The worst aspect by far is the swallowing problem. I feel the constant need to swallow, but only when I think of it. Sometimes I struggle to swallow, despite needing to, and I get panic attacks because I feel I have no control over what is happening. I've been to the doctor and she's referred me to a psychotherapist. But I'm afraid of going because I'm so embarrassed- I've a fear of people hearing me swallow so lessons etc are hard. And it affects my social life, as kissing anyone is pretty much out right now. So telling the psychotherapist this, I would be paranoid over them watching for my habit. Does anyone understand what I mean? =|

joyce99
06-06-08, 21:44
hi there i have this problem right now can you suggest anything how to sstop this thanks joyce

Will
09-09-08, 16:12
Hey, im 19 and over the last few months I have experienced a few panic attacks, sometimes it has felt like i have know control over my body. Since i have these attacks I have become very anxious at times and quite recently it has effected my swallowing in quite a bad way e.g. At some meals i am finding it very hard to swallow any food just out of fear of choking and what not and often (as gross as this sounds) I have found myself having to spit my food into a napkin even after chewing to an extreme, just today i was evan having trouble with soup.

Does anyone else ever get this feeling? its all in my head but i don't know what to do... Sometimes im just fine and its all normal.

I have told my family just so they can understand why i may sometimes take a long time eating a meal, im considering some kind of theropy or something.

Will :blush:

maggie1
16-09-08, 18:38
I'm 16 and have suffered from panic attacks and OCD for years. It comes and goes really, but last year I went to Australia with my family and since then I've been going through a very bad phase. The worst aspect by far is the swallowing problem. I feel the constant need to swallow, but only when I think of it. Sometimes I struggle to swallow, despite needing to, and I get panic attacks because I feel I have no control over what is happening. I've been to the doctor and she's referred me to a psychotherapist. But I'm afraid of going because I'm so embarrassed- I've a fear of people hearing me swallow so lessons etc are hard. And it affects my social life, as kissing anyone is pretty much out right now. So telling the psychotherapist this, I would be paranoid over them watching for my habit. Does anyone understand what I mean? =|

I certainly know what you mean daisy - I've had this going on for about 7 months this time (I had it previously some years ago when I was about 30, but like you I've been plagued by obsessional fears like this since I was 17) and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. Like you, I'm conscious that people may notice me swallowing constantly. and I'm afraid to tell anyone as I think they'll start noticing then. My tongue has also become very sore, and now my throat. I don't even know if they are related and I'm having tests on them at the moment - it may just be psychological but I don't know. I'm also seeing a therapist for cognitive therapy treatment, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. From past experience I know that it takes something drastic to take my mind off an obsession, and at the moment my life is very calm (apart from the constancy of this annoying obsession)! It's completely taken my life over and I'd be happy to get rid of it just for a few minutes or hours.

I do hope you feel better soon - I try to think there are so many people in the world with much worse problems, but somehow it doesn't make it any easier.

dannic1
30-09-08, 07:46
Maggie & all,

We are in the same swallowing boat! I guess I have to find a little laughter in this - know how frustrating it can be. I always tell my friend who has it, too, that God just made us special. : ) Just curious what your therapist is doing as far as the cognitive therapy goes, Maggie? Mine says that talking about the swallowing is a positive thing and is a form of exposure therapy, since it's not avoidance. We've worked on other issues that are more obtainable or tangible to treat, in my opinion, like my hatred of dripping water and turning stove knobs, etc. I don't really know what the "protocol" is for swallowing. I can't say that my therapist has really given me any specific homework or exercises to do for the swallowing. It's such a mental process, in my opinion. It's like your brain gets stuck and just latches onto the thoughts about swallowing and all your focus is on your throat all of a sudden. If I truly get involved in my work, then I can be okay for awhile. Thanks be to God that gum helps me control it and to relax. Don't ask me why or how, but it does. Does anyone else get bothered in grocery stores or standing in line or is it just me? I don't know where the strong fear comes of others hearing us swallow comes from? I had this crazy swallowing issue back in high school, it went away for years, I was relatively normal, except for maybe other little OCD quirks and then here it is again. Years later, I'm dealing with what I thought I had overcome for good. My trigger was an internet relationship that I was starting up. I think the fear of getting intimately close to this man scared me, for whatever reason. I just wanted to be "perfect" for him. Sounds so weird, but I know another OCD brain can understand my words exactly. I really think our brains do work differently - like they're plain 'old stuck. I'm trying to increase my exercise to see if it will help. I'm also trying to eat a healthy diet and get frequent massages. I think I also feel better after I eat fish. God bless. danni

maggie1
05-10-08, 14:50
Hi Danni
Thanks for your lighthearted comments. We certainly need to keep it that way - if we didn't laugh we'd cry! I've not really got far into the cognitive therapy yet - she's just given me a diary to keep and some cards to reiterate positive thoughts every day - doesn't seem to be helping much I'm afraid. I can certainly relate to the "being perfect" comment - I think that's half the trouble and it's our "perfect" personality that gives us the obsessions. I also had it when I was a teenager, have been relatively free for years and have now got it really bad again at the age of 61. But I've always been afraid of concentrating on things like swallowing that no one else concentrates on, and the fear makes me concentrate! Wierd or what?

I'm trying to carry on regardless, remembering that there are people in the world with much worse things to deal with, and trying to keep positive and not let the panic set in about the length of time I've had it and whether I'm ever going to get rid of it.

All the very best,
Maggie.

dannic1
01-12-08, 03:38
Maggie & all,

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing? This is such a crazy problem. I went out of town for about a week to help my mother after double knee replacement surgery and the swallowing almost totally went away. I guess I was just so busy cooking, cleaning, waiting on her, etc. It did me a lot of good to get away from my stressful home situation and my stressful job as well. Anyway, it's been a little tough on me tonight. I think my acid reflux might be part of the problem, though. I guess the stress of the holidays hasn't helped any and I need to get back on my treadmill and into counseling.

Maggie - how is your cognitive therapy going? Is anyone on medication that has helped to take away the swallowing fixation? My thoughts and prayers are with everyone on this board tonight.

danni

abc_03
26-12-08, 02:53
Hi to everyone, I have been suffering from social phobia since I was 14 and some automatic thoughts which are probably related to OCD since I was 19. Beside my SA, I started to suffer from neck tension/tighten in public at the age of 19. Then, after a severe and long lasting (3 weeks) upper respiratory tract infection, neck tension worsened and I also started to suffer from excessive swallowing at the age of 21. I was also told that I had a chronic sinusitis and deviated septum while i had that upper respiratory tract infection for 3 weeks. Finally, I started to suffer from excessive salivation at the middle age of 24. I will be 26 in this summer and I have still been suffering from neck tensions/tighten, excessive swallowing and salivation. I usually suffer from only one of them at the one time but its type and degree changes time to time. For instance I may have a mild neck tension in the morning then it may be gone and I may have a severe excessive salivation in the evening. I have been mostly suffering from excessive salivation, secondly neck tensions/tighten then excessive swallowing lately.

That was the short background of me, I ve read lots of things about SA,OCD and those 3 obsessive thoughts so far. Now, what I really want to do is doing a survey and try to see if there are some any other things which related to OCD or SA. For example according to some of the researches there may be a link between physical problems and OCD or tics. For example link between pharyngitis, throat infections and OCD, tics. Or most of us may have some similarities apart from OCD or SA. By doing this survey, we may explore some new things related to our problems even help to find new methods or ideas for treatment.

Here is the survey and my answers at the below, just beneath of it there is the survey itself without the answers so you can copy paste and fill in. If you are interested, please answer all the questions on the survey honestly. Thanks in advance, good luck and best wishes to everyone.

Nickname: abc_03
Illness title: SA, OCD
Medicines: 20mg Paroxetine per day
Current main symptoms which you mostly suffer from: Excessive saliva, neck tensions/tighten, excessive swallowing, concentration problem, forgetfulness.
Other current symptoms, illness or problems no matter related or not to your mental disease: Chapped lips, excessive sex thoughts and libido, sinusitis and blocked nose, deviated septum, excessive yawning, easily getting startled, click voice from jaw disks, sometimes unbalanced walking, 3 teeth decay, big adams apple.
Old symptoms, illness or problems you had before no matter related or not to your mental disease with times: I was very naughty and active child in childhood, easily affected by movies or people and imitated/copied those characters in childhood, had measles at the age of 11, slowly started to be quiet, introvert and get nervous around people about at the age of 13-14, suffered from under feet pains and diagnosed as mild fallen arches about at the age of 15, I have sprained my ankles mostly in sport lots of time in my life, I have had lots of upper respiratory tract infections and pharyngitis in my life so far and diagnosed as chronic sinusitis and deviated septum at the age of 21.
Sufferers in 1st degree relatives with times and illness title detail: Mum has been suffering from schizophrenia, OCD and mild SA for about 25-30 years. One of my sister has been mentally insane since she was 14. Mum is 62 and sister is 42 years old now. Hopefully their conditions are not too bad but still they are sufferer. Btw, I have 5 siblings, 2 brothers and 3 sisters.
Medicine history: Only 50 mg Lustral/Sertralin per day from 2005 to 10/2008 then changed to 20mg Paroxetine per day only since 10/2008 so far.

Nickname:
Illness title:
Medicines:
Current main symptoms which you mostly suffer from:
Other current symptoms, illness or problems no matter related or not to your mental disease:
Old symptoms, illness or problems you had before no matter related or not to your mental disease with times:
Sufferers in 1st degree relatives with times and illness title detail:
Medicine history:

Thank you, good luck and best wishes to everyone.

Kerrigan
06-05-09, 20:57
I understand what you mean. I'm surprised you haven't told anyone about it either because it's hard to hide. It has also taken over my life. I find it embarrassing for myself and others because there's a personality in me thats smothered by this stupid obsession. I never thought I'd stumble over something so insignificant. I sometimes watch actors on T.V (alone of course!) and marvel at how natural and blissfully unaware but of course-we all are, we just seem to dwell on it!

I do have friends but I've had the problem so long that it's hard to be objective. I don't know if it's reversible. I always thought that if I spent the equivalent length of time (6-7 yrs) ignoring/fighting/challenging it and saying 'yes' to everything, always seeking company and stimulation that it would erase the damage. I agree that it might be work related, it hooks into a bored mind.

Kerrigan
06-05-09, 21:32
What are the side effects of swallowing repeatedly? For me they are:

1) Bad breath-yes it's v.embarrassing but swallowing repeatedly keeps the mouth dry and thats not good for freshness. As a result I brush up to 4x, gargle either with salt water or an alcohol free aloe vera mouthwash. Alcohol mouthwashes can thin the mouth walls though.
2) Choking-I don't mean choking on food or a fear of choking per se but sometimes if I put food in my mouth and begin chewing, I'll choke because my mouth is dry and not used to the increase in saliva or the presence of food near the soft palate. It's like a fast dry swallow which makes me burn with humilation as it's loud too.
3) Speaking-if it's been a while between brushing, I'll try avoid speaking or breathe in as I do. When I do speak, I restrict myself. I'll speak only to the point where my mouth gets 'wet' then I'll stop. Swallowing is quite an effort, it's a strong reflex that works even if your upside down so the other person has usually picked up their side of the conversation by that time.
4) I'm starting recently to get pains up one side of my neck which is troubling, they're not enough to worry me unduly and I always seem to get second chances when soreness or lumps appear on my inner cheek but it could be a sign it's catching up with me.
5) The swallowing is connected to nerves in the sense when I swallow the nerves go away but of course the tension builds up again until I swallow again but I also swallow for no reason, when resting or if there's a natural break between doing one thing or another.
6) Sore throat-I only get this if I've been swallowing frequently all day, maybe after 2 days. I could hold down a full time job easily if it wasn't for this!

It also mitigates against a social life, relationships etc. As I said before though-some of that might just be me turning them down. I guess it comes down to how much control you let it have.

abc03
16-07-09, 01:11
Hi to everyone, how you doing? I'm not too bad atm, still have ups and downs sometimes.

I want to ask some questions about obsessive swallowing; Do you also suffer from excessive salivation and neck tensions? Have you suffered from sinusitis or upper respiratory infections like pharyngitis or coughing attacks? Do you think you have a big adams apple on your throat? And finally, do you think your OCD problems have been caused by genes?

I found best thing to cope my anxieties and OCD thoughts is accept myself as i am and try to take my mind off doing and focusing on different things (the obsessions, thoughts and worries slowly go away after a while if you dont mind them too much). I should also say music, sport/fitness and body exercises are really helpful too. Hope these tips help.

I d be grateful if you answered the questions. Best wishes to everyone.

coco9528
10-08-09, 23:33
Hi im new to this site and i have the same problem i thought it was somethin that only i had I feel better knowing there is other people who are going through the same thing i hope it does just stop on its own im 25 and have been agoraphobic for 8 years I think if I got rid of the swallowing thing I could deal with all the other anxiety symptoms a lot easier I know exactly how you feel its the worst i want help but dont know what to do i cant even go out hardly so couldnt do counselling.

its good there are sites like this its nice to hear that people do get better and there symptoms go away thanks.

baby4brenn@aol.com
27-09-09, 01:29
I have the same thing with the ocd swallowing. I have been trying not to think about it but I can't. How often is normal for me to be swallowing? People see me swallowing and its not normal as i'm supposed to be doing it on my own and not thinking i have to swallow. I read that herbal remedies could help, has anyone tried any for ocd and did it help? what about hypnosis? thanks
Brenda

cascas2011
31-03-11, 09:41
i feel so alone i don't know what to do anymore iv suffered for so I'm so embarrassed with this not even my other half knows i don't know why its started i suffered from anxiety,depression and panic attacks mainly my problems my obsessive swallowing when i don't need to and making my mouth dry which makes it worse,i also cannot eat in front people with my fear of choking I'm not overly scared dying but the feeling I'm alone in this and I'm embarrassed is horrible its like I'm suffering in silence and i have no idea what to do,I've been to see my doctor and shes giving me a piece paper on helping me BUT as you probably know its useless,the problem is much worse then that...i tried relaxing my body before i went to bed as that was the time when it was at its worst i have become obsessed with massaging my feet to relax me at night in bed,i cant keep still when I'm nodding off i just as i know my body's shutting down n I'm panicking...i also cant b in a car for to long as i start swallowing loads n control my breathing i don't know what to do no more:( its getting me so down,I'm 38 weeks pregnant tomorrow which I'm so happy about but THIS horrible thing is ruining my life,my relationship and even friendship i cant go anywhere i just cant be around people in case this happens. some please help :'( i feels so alone!! I'm new on here so don't know how it works :/ x

Just want it to stop
24-05-11, 18:33
Hello, I have read these posts with interest. I also suffer from excessive swallowing I think due to ocd/social anxiety when I am at work. I think about it all day and am constantly aware of swallowing and it is fuelled, I think, by the worry that people will notice me swallowing excessively and think that I am strange. It has been going on now for about 6 months or so. I am currently taking Prozac 40mg and having CBT privately and making progress but slowly. Just to let you know that you are not alone and to wish you luck in staying calm and focusing on what matters.

hoosiervet
09-08-12, 19:14
hello all, I have had excessive swallowing issues for a couple om months now. I think it was triggered by anxiety of stopping drinking. I have bas allergies too, and the sensation of post nsal dripo causes mw to swallow even more. I cant really relax anymore and need ativan to sleep at night. I do have a history of depression and anxiety...and O in the OCD. I have an appointment this coming week to see a therapist Hopefully, I can can control over myself, because it is depressing me. I hope you find releif and I do.

Icollectyoubuy
03-12-13, 22:31
Hi I'd just like to say that I've struggled with this problems for many years on and off but have had it every day for the past year. I've found the best solution is to bring water with you everywhere you go. I'm never seen without a water bottle or other beverage. It will save you from dry mouth panics. It also helps to have close friends and family know so that they understand.

Jane305
30-06-17, 18:42
I am brand new to this forum since driving has become nearly impossible - my anxiety manifests itself in the need to swallow, mostly when driving. I feel like I'm going to choke and don't want to swallow so often but it's an OCD thing. I'm on meds again (have been on and off for years for generalized anxiety and depression) but nothing is helping this time. Anyone else have similar issues even if not related to driving?