PDA

View Full Version : how long to work?

shadowstriker
15-03-14, 14:05
hi guys just started pregabalin 5 days ago i am on 50mg 3 times a day just wondering how long it takes to work all my dr said was its not like diazipam you have to give it some time is that dose im on to low to do anything?:shrug:

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

the pregabalin was added because the mirtazapine and venlafaxine is making me really agitated and keep feeling like i want to kick or punch something aparrently anti depressants can make you agitated when you start them or dose increase dont know why the dr keeps insisting on me taking them because they dont do anything for me was on both for 2months no joy now back on them after stopping for a week been on the 3-4 weeks.

Mark13
15-03-14, 16:07
I started on 150mg (2x75 per day) and went up to 600 per day in 5 weeks. I didn't get any major effects until about 4 weeks in, although there was the odd pleasant side effect.

Emphyrio
18-03-14, 00:26
Let me know how you do. Like you I experience quite bad agitation on SSRIs. I can never take more than a quarter/half a standard dose. I may ask my GP for this if things don't improve.

Did you try lamotrigine in the end?

shadowstriker
18-03-14, 19:14
Yes have been on lamotrigine for a week on 25mg at night the pregabalin has been incresed to 100 mg 3 times a day just been discharged from hospital have to increase the lomotrogine to 50mg in a few days pregabalin still not working just took my first new dose at 6pm hope it works didn't before on this dose last time

Emphyrio
19-03-14, 23:44
How are you finding the combination? That's four meds you're on right?

I'm going to have to see a psychiatrist again because I shouldn't be having such anxiety on SSRIs. I may see about trying pregabalin - though maybe a mood stabiliser would help. I'd love to be off these drugs completely but I need to get stable first...

shadowstriker
20-03-14, 09:08
yeah 4 the lamotrigine was added because my dr said it will increase the anti depressants yeah right! they say ssris will make you agitated initially but i stuck will citalopram for 2 months and it did not go even though it was the only antidepressant to help in the past my dr said the pregabalin has to be increased slowly untill its at the right dose fore me.

shadowstriker
22-03-14, 22:36
update: spoke to a out of hours gp on the phone and they said to increase to 400mg will this take a few weeks to kick in?

hanshan
23-03-14, 07:02
Hi Shadowstriker,

Based on comments from posts made to NMP, it can take from a day or two to a couple of weeks for the increased dose to have an effect. My impression is that the faster you notice a response, the better the overall response will be (but this is not necessarily true for everyone). The effects can be rather subtle - it's only when you realise that in some situations you aren't getting anxious like you used to that you realise it's having an effect.

Good luck with it.

shadowstriker
23-03-14, 15:55
thanks just hope it helps me because the 2 antidepressants im on are making my anxiety really bad :(

shadowstriker
25-03-14, 20:29
i think the pregabalin is starting to work feel mildly drowsy definetly dont feel like a benzo through anyone else have the same opinion on this?

hanshan
26-03-14, 02:13
The action is definitely different from benzodiazepines. The ideal is that you just have normal feelings - no drowsiness and not much anxiety (everyone has anxiety sometimes).

shadowstriker
26-03-14, 12:12
thanks hanshan have you noticed it takes a few hours to work? like i took it at 9am and its 12 and only just working.

hanshan
27-03-14, 02:35
It seems to take about two to four hours for maximum effect for me. It's definitely not fast, like benzodiazepines. The half-life is fairly short (about seven hours), so it should be taken two or three times a day if you want to build up a steady level in the body.

shadowstriker
27-03-14, 16:22
It seems to take about two to four hours for maximum effect for me. It's definitely not fast, like benzodiazepines. The half-life is fairly short (about seven hours), so it should be taken two or three times a day if you want to build up a steady level in the body.
My shrink doesn't want me on 400mg or above because I'm on a lot of meds I think he's going to put me back to 300mg said that's the dose for lol .

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

That's the dose for gad