PDA

View Full Version : Hydration

scotford14
15-03-14, 15:55
Hello all.

I have been suffering with anxiety symptoms for weeks now. I have a small piece of advice I want to share that may help others who feel like me.

Water is key. I find that sipping on water (or any drink for that matter) takes my concentration away from fear/panicking. When I do have a bad spell my mouth always goes very dry so having a drink close by definitely helps. I carry a drink around with me almost everywhere I go. Work,driving,shopping etc.

One time in Asda i had a bad panic attack. I just grabbed a drink from the nearest shelf and straight away I felt better. I did pay for it before leaving.

I have read plenty of articles on line that state staying hydrated really does help.

Sometimes I feel reassured just knowing I have a drink on hand. I know there are situations where this will not be practical but try your best.

I wanted to share and If this helps at least one person then that is great.

James

Fishmanpa
15-03-14, 16:19
Great post and tip Scotford.

In general hydration is key. When I was going through treatment, there was a saying that was repeated over and over and over...

"Hydration, Nutrition and Pain Management".

Take the pain management out and it would apply here. Good nutrition and hydration are key aspects to physical health and good physical health can only be beneficial to your mental health.

Positive thoughts

Round in circles
15-03-14, 16:29
I was also advised by a nurse that sipping water helps to stop you fainting. I'm not sure if that's true, or whether she was just giving me something to focus on doing. Seemed to help though.

JITTERBUG1
15-03-14, 17:22
whenever I am out in public I have to have a bottle of water or Gatorade with me. when I feel panic coming on I slowly sip my drink and take deep slow breaths through my nose. this usually works.

Tiff

cartwheels
15-03-14, 20:02
i keep getting a dry mouth/throat and it sends me into a spin. i dont know wheather its my fears/anxiety etc making me feel like this or i have something wrong with me. its horrible

MyNameIsTerry
15-03-14, 20:46
Dehydration causes lots of problems so anyone with anxiety is bound to focus on them. Take headaches for instance.

Anxiety can make you sweat more, even a lot, which means losing water so I reckon we need more water than we are told the average person needs.

cartwheels
15-03-14, 20:51
agreed but i then i pee every 20 mins its a horrible circle