PDA

View Full Version : Potassium worries

Round in circles
15-03-14, 17:24
Been feeling a bit funny all afternoon. I assumed at was because I was stressed from going to the supermarket on a Saturday, or because I ate junk food that I shouldn't really eat. But in the past half hour the slightly dizzy/spacey feeling has gotten worse and I've now gotten tongue cramps along with a scratchy throat.

Anyway, that's led me to think I'm probably feeling funny because I binged and purged when I got home. I have bulimia and ever since Xmas it's been really out of control, and my worry is that my potassium is out of whack. I hate this. I get so worried over it, ever since the time I was told I was one step away from "your heart could stop at any time". It's like this invisible monster in my life, waiting to get me. The worst part is, when it got really low there were no obvious physical symptoms to tell me something was wrong. That's the bit that scared me the most. My potassium doesn't get regularly monitored anymore. I forced my levels back up by eating baked potatoes every day so I could get off those awful tasting potassium tablets, and since then there's been no support for it. If I turn up every 6 months or so and ask for a blood test, the GP is happy to do that, but other than that I'm on my own.

I'm feeling really panicky, but so far am just about managing to suppress it into the box labelled "concerned". I can't wait till tomorrow comes and I can get back to feeling "normal".

Fishmanpa
15-03-14, 17:31
Hey RIC,

Bananas as well as several other foods are high in potassium (Orange juice and sweet potatoes are a couple others that most folks love). I mention bananas because most people like them and they are a hunger buster too as they're starchy and stay with you.

Positive thoughts

Round in circles
15-03-14, 17:42
Thanks fishmanpa, I've got a potato in the oven at the moment. I love bananas but forgot to pick any up at the supermarket. I'll feel better when I've had the potato (I hope). I think the time that I was told how close to being hospitalised I was, it was meant to shock me into taking better care of myself. It kind of left me with a lot of fear though. Still.. The average baked potato has around 800-1000mg of potassium. I'm sure that will be enough. I hope...