PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety. & tension

violet33
15-03-14, 20:51
I wonder how much anxiety feeds tension. I have much anxiety & tension. I really have been trying to not allow myself to get too tense because it's not worth it, but it's easier said than done . I remind myself not to sweat the small stuff. If anyone has any suggestions in relaxation techniques , I'd be most interested. I can clearly see that tension affects physical symptoms , which goes right into anxiety. & panic. I tend to be too sensitive & get angry easily. & it's not worth it. I need to get a handle on it. I don't mean I get violent when angry. I just get very tense. & I hate it. It's also unhealthy. Thank You!

NotCool
15-03-14, 22:54
I know exactly what you mean. I never was a violent person, or a person prone to raging, on the contrary, I kind of let feelings, good and bad, bottle up inside of me. But i've had a horrible experience a few weeks ago, when I was having lunch with a part of my family. I was sleep deprived that day, and out of nowhere, when a female friend of my father was talking about something, I felt this weird tension, anger, and I've gotten so scared, that It triggered a panic attack. I removed myself, and went to the bathroom to chill out. When I came back these weird feelings still haunted me, but with less intensity. I excused myself and drove home, lol. Since then I've been tense in certain social situations, and afraid that I'll rage for no reason, or something.

saab
15-03-14, 23:03
The Insight timer app is free and has guided meditations. Also Tara Brach's website has free downloadable meditations. Many of them are based on the idea of acceptance and living in the moment. I have found them useful and she has a very calming voice.

violet33
15-03-14, 23:17
Thank You for your responses. At least I know I'm not Alone in this issue . That helps.

Fishmanpa
15-03-14, 23:27
Hi Violet,

In my youth and really up until my health issues, I was much like you describe. I "was" a type A personality, driven, intense etc. I retain some of those things but I've mellowed A LOT over the last 10 years.

The quote in my signature has a lot to do with that and having faced my demise intimately, I value life and no longer fear death.

I don't know if this will help but there was a guy I worked with that had the most carefree and easy going attitude. I was in the car business with him (I know.. car sales?.. YUCK! I hated it!). The stress and tension was unreal... it was pressure, pressure, pressure all the time. We were talking one day and I asked him how he managed to cope so well. He said these words and I kid you not. "I just don't give a shit". I was taken back and he explained that there are more important things in life than worrying or being stressed out. He told me what was important to him (his family, his friends and enjoying the good things) and that the rest was just BS. That stuck with me all these years and is reflected in my signature quote by history's wisest king.

There are no guarantees in life. Tomorrow could be our last day so live each day to the best of your ability. Find at least a moment to laugh, smile, do something nice for someone and for yourself. Of course there are techniques and tips and all sorts of things that can help you achieve that but it first comes down to your attitude.

To answer your question. I believe that stress feeds anxiety and visa versa and it's a catch 22. One cannot exist without the other. The idea is to starve one aspect and the other will follow. Follow the suggestions for relaxation and meditation. Mindfullness, CBT, therapy and the other proven methods to help deal with your feelings would be beneficial as well but it all starts with you. Be passionate about the things that matter to you... the rest? Pfffft! ;)

Positive thoughts

Round in circles
16-03-14, 01:46
I find mindfulness meditation helpful, along with guided meditation. Not the type where we're meant to picture ourselves on beaches or the sound of waves, but the ones that guide you through relaxing muscles bit by bit. I never could see any beaches in my head and all I could hear was my own voice saying "think of a beach".

There's a free app on android and iOS that I find really helpful called take a break.

Fishmanpa
16-03-14, 02:06
I recall the comedian Bill Engvall talking about the beach and he said "A half a Vicodin and a Bahama Mama make for a bitchin' day" ~lol~

Positive thoughts