PDA

View Full Version : It's me again, needing some advice about panic/anxiety etc.

Gem_182
15-03-14, 21:37
Hi there,

Sorry to write here again but I need some advice and I hope anyone can help.

I am really struggling at the moment. I have had panic and anxiety issues for a few years now and I'm seeing the 3rd CBT therapist and whilst it's going well and I feel like she helps I dunno, I just don't feel like it's enough. I have good days and bad ones, and good moments and bad moments but I've had more bad days recently. I think I am getting better and then it gets worse again. It affects mostly everything in my life at the moment. I'm trying to keep myself calm, but it's hard. I need to sort this out, it's really getting me down and limiting me and my life and my loved ones too. It's getting to the stage where I fear I will lose people around me. I really need help but don't know what to do and where to go. I used to be on Citalopram and before Christmas my doc changed me onto Metazapine which I didn't take, so I went back to my doc and they then prescribed me Sertraline and I'm too afraid to take it. Whilst I realise this isn't helping, I don't think it is hindering things because it's not like I'm in withdrawal as I haven't took tablets since beginning to the middle of December last year. Anyway, sorry for rambling for so long but I need some advice please. Thanks so much in advance xx

Ryan92
16-03-14, 01:43
Hi Gem, Ive had cbt too. It has helped me too but I know how tough it can be when your having bad days :doh:. I have anxiety issues at the moment (I suffer from GAD). I understand how you worry you may lose loved ones close to you, if they are family/friends then they will care about you and love you of course, they wont leave you so you hopefully wont fear as much about losing them (if you know what I mean) :D. Maybe you could talk to your cbt therapist about the sertraline tablets. Maybe you should give them a try because it is possible they could really help you :), you could talk to your GP/doctor about starting on a small dose or see what they or your therapist think. I switched from fluoxetine to sertraline last year and sertraline is really helping me, Ive noticed a decrease in my anxiety. Obviously, you wont know if they will work for you or not unless you try them but they could help you :D. Switching to new meds is hard at first but it can really help you over time :).
Sorry if Ive come across all bossy and saying you must take sertraline, Im just trying to suggest what might help you :blush:
Don't be sorry for having to post on here :), were here to help one an other so we can conquer our anxiety etc :).

Most likely you know this from your therapist, there are many sites with tips and information on how to deal with anxiety and how to cope when taking new medication. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-mindful-self-express/201106/the-six-best-ways-decrease-your-anxiety
http://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/copingwithdepression/2012/02/new-meds-can-make-depression-worse-before-it-gets-better/
If you feel you can't take sertraline, maybe you should ask your therapist about another type of therapy or counselling if you feel its not enough at the moment. There's also telephone therapy available.
Hope this helps you, good luck :hugs:

Gem_182
19-03-14, 17:43
First of all can I say thanks so much for replying. sorry about the delay in me replying to you. Sorry to hear you have struggles too, but I hope you are ok and getting better.
Thanks, I know that my loved ones around me do love me, but I just worry that I will get to a really bad place, cos I just keep limiting myself and it's not good for me or the people around me and I worry they will leave.
Glad to hear you are on Sertraline too, glad it is helping you. I go through phases of thinking it will be ok and that I should just take it, I'm in one of those now hehe so hopefully I will just take it. I've been prescribed 50mg but I might take half of it for a while and see how I go on. Also,, you didn't come across as bossy, I appreciate your advice. I feel the need to say sorry cos I ramble and feel like I'm not getting anywhere sometimes. I think this "thread" will be my last on here.
Also, thanks for those sites, I shall have a look at them thank you. Thanks so much for your kind and helpful words, I appreciate it, it means a lot that you got back to me so thanks xx