PDA

View Full Version : Can panic attacks hurt you in the long term?

Bexx1
16-03-14, 13:04
Hi
I have heard that panic attacks can cause stress on the heart and cause problems in the long term. This makes me worry if Ive already damaged my heart and worries me about having more in the future. But then isn't a panic attack just the same as exercise. You heart rate gets high, short of breath etc but thats considered good for you. Im just scared that ive already caused myself damage and am doing so and will continue to do so because of every day anxiety - even though my anxiety is way better.

Round in circles
16-03-14, 14:46
As far as I know, panic attacks don't cause those kind of problems in themselves. Of course the stress that panic attacks cause is never good for us. You say your anxiety is much better so that's the most important thing imho.

MyNameIsTerry
16-03-14, 23:43
Panic attacks as far as I know dont lead to long term health problems. Strangely, if they did, the medical community would put more resources into prevention as they are with obesity. However, the constant underlying stress can be a possible cause of high blood pressure. You have to at put this into perspective though as many people 70+ are on medication for high or low blood pressure and live normal lives as its controlled via regular checks.

Exercise is different. Its aimed at increasing your cardiovascular ability to stress and produces endorphins. Its true that many of the symptoms can be the same though.

If you look into thinks like stress enough, you find links to all sorts of conditions but its not a certainty, it means you may be at an increased risk over the norm. Other factors matter greatly as risk increases further such as ill health, obesity, general fitness, etc. So, have a healthy lifestyle and work on reducing any possible risks to your health in general. Exercise for instance has benefits from feeling good to confidence and even better regulation of adrenaln so helps with anxiety.

cls1033
21-03-14, 03:30
panic attacks will not hurt you they are just a fight or flight response that happens when just watching tv or whet ever. but no they are harmless tho they make you feel like you are about to die but will not kill you or hurt you. i have had this over18 years and thought i was going to die hundreds of times but no long term effects