PDA

View Full Version : Bad pain behind eye - cause for concern?

Edmonton28
16-03-14, 13:41
Over the past 8 months I have suffered from man strange ailments, most of which haven't been explained other than as "normal post concussion symptoms". One of the biggest was really bad health anxiety, caused by all these weird sensations. Since starting Cipralex it has been a lot better, and most of the random chest pains and stuff don't worry me nearly as much.

Just last night though, I woke up with bad throbbing pain behind my right eye. I thought it might be the way I slept or something and tried changing position and massaging my neck and after two mins or so it went away. Then when i tried to fall asleep again, it moved to my left eye but not as bad. Then kind of in my temples, I was able to fall asleep, but woke up 30 mins later and it was back behind the right eye, this time it lasted about 3 min.

It's really painful when it's happening, almost like my eye would pop. I had an eye exam 3 days ago and it was all normal, and I had an MRI 5 months ago that was normal. I can't help thinking that something terrible has developed though like an aneurism or something :( has anyone else experienced these type of pains?

RoseEve
16-03-14, 13:55
Yes it's a migraine. I always get it in my eye. They are terrible but totally harmless. Take a pain reliever and lay in a dark room if you can.

Edmonton28
17-03-14, 01:49
I really hope that's what it is! I don't have any of the other 'typical' migrane symptoms though. Movement and light, etc don't seem to make it better/worse. Today both eyes are watering quite a bit as well. I'm hoping some sort of over straining of the eye, but if it doesn't improve in a day or two I'm gonna call the neurologist.

Serenity1990
17-03-14, 02:00
It's very unlikely to be a migraine as it switched sides. It points far more towards sinus pressure, which is very much an anxiety symptom.

As it was explained to me, anxiety does trigger migraines in those who suffer migraine, however it doesn't cause the condition. Migraine is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed conditions, and anxiety sufferers who suffer severe headaches tend to really have either cervicogenic headaches (caused by tightness in the neck/shoulders) or sinus headaches (caused either from sinusitis which is strongly correlated with anxiety, or GERD acid irritating the sinuses). I've suffered both, an osteopath irradiated the former and Olbas got rid of the latter. :)

RoseEve
17-03-14, 10:48
Serenity I've been having sinus infections since Christmas. This is linked with anxiety? I had no idea!

Edmonton28
17-03-14, 14:57
The sinus infection/irritation does make more sense to me, especially since I will often feel like there is a drip in the back of my throat or that my nose is leaking kind of. My right ear gets plugged/feels 'wet' a lot as well when it isn't. Maybe it's time to see an ENT. Thanks for the replies!