PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety and Fear of Going Crazy

smk16
28-11-06, 03:48
Hey All,
I have been dealing with health anxiety for over a year now. No one will actually diagnose my with any form of mental health issue but talking to some friends who deal with anxiety and depression and doing a lot of reading I believe I have anxiety which seems to be resulting in depression. Every little ache or pain or wierd little feeling in my body has to be blood clots, tumors, stroke, heart attack, etc. I am very guilty of going on the web to find a symptom and then thinking I have the worst possible diagnosis. I seemed to have this somewhat under control but a week ago a guy in one of my classes had a grand mall siezure and it scared me bad! Now I am so afraid to go to school and my anxiety is bad again.

When I get anxious feelings I beat myself up and then become very depressed and just feel like crying and screaming and running around in a circle. This in turn makes me feel like I am going crazy and I should be locked up in an institution. Sometimes I feel so aweful that I wish the health issue I think I have would just kill me.

I just went to a therapist today and she talked to me for like 10 minutes, barely long enough to get my name let alone a solution to my problem, and right away suggested I go on medication. I would like to try other things first becaue medication scares me. What I really needed from her was to reassure me that I am not crazy.
smk

manmoor
28-11-06, 06:08
Hi Smk,

A big warm welcome to you. I too suffer from health anxiety so know how tough it can be. Welcome aboard.

Take Care

Mandyxx

LickeyEndBlues
28-11-06, 09:11
Hey SMK,

What you have written could have been said by hundreds of folks in here. You are in the right place to get help, advice and support.

Once you have sorted out the forums there wil be more specific information you can access.

Welocme to NMP, S......remember you are not alone here.

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

honeybee3939
28-11-06, 10:04
Hi SMl

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice while making new friends on the way.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

yorkylover
28-11-06, 10:41
Hi smk,and welcome.You are not going crazy pet.You will get lots of support here.;)

Ellen XX

Stu M
28-11-06, 16:39
Hello smk,

I am quite new to this forum, but have found it very supportive and helpful. :D

I sympathise with what you say as I get the same response in respect of people just suggesting medication so quickly as a fix all!!

I hope you find help and some freinds here, welcome.

Stu

rb1978
29-11-06, 16:33
Hi there! Don't worry you're not alone with this and you're not going mad. I can relate to some of what you're saying about how you're feeling. Some days I was getting so wrapped up in symptoms that I couldn't think of anything else. Whatever I did, the fears and worry were at the forefront of my mind all the time. I ended up getting depressed and it reached the stage where I was waking up and just spending most of the day crying. I ended up going to the Dr specifically about my anxiety and how it was making me feel….not about an actual symptom. She prescribed meds but also some anxiety management (still waiting for it). If they don't refer you for something like that, this place is a great place to start…there is some useful info on here about therapies and techniques. I also got hold of a book called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" which has some very useful advice. I'm working through it and think it's helping me look at how I'm thinking and feeling.

Take care,

trac67
02-12-06, 11:29
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nomorepanic
04-12-06, 19:52
Hi Smk

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel