PDA

View Full Version : Day 13 - a few questions

jharden
17-03-14, 00:01
Hi all,

First time posting here. I've been prescribed citalopram to help treat depression and anxiety related issues. I started on 20mg each morning. I've always been quite anxious, but that developed into panic attacks about five months ago. That eventually led to constant and quite scary states of anxiety and depression which I'm currently dealing with now through a mixture of CBT, mindfulness, medication and a super-healthy lifestyle :)

Things are going pretty well at the moment, but I have a few questions about the citalopram. I've noticed a really big improvement in my mood and anxiety over days 11 and 12, however today on day 13 I've woken up with a very low mood. It's not bothering me too much though, as I've been pretty lucky with side effects! Is it normal to be feeling improvements after only two weeks? Also, has anyone else developed quite a sensitivity to sugar on citalopram? I've noticed that when I have a can of lemonade or a cookie (a very rare treat these days :weep:) I get very nauseous and my mood changes sharply.

I'm looking forward to posting on this site - it seems to be a nice community of people who want to help each other out. :D

Icequeen
17-03-14, 16:55
Hi all,

First time posting here. I've been prescribed citalopram to help treat depression and anxiety related issues. I started on 20mg each morning. I've always been quite anxious, but that developed into panic attacks about five months ago. That eventually led to constant and quite scary states of anxiety and depression which I'm currently dealing with now through a mixture of CBT, mindfulness, medication and a super-healthy lifestyle :)

Things are going pretty well at the moment, but I have a few questions about the citalopram. I've noticed a really big improvement in my mood and anxiety over days 11 and 12, however today on day 13 I've woken up with a very low mood. It's not bothering me too much though, as I've been pretty lucky with side effects! Is it normal to be feeling improvements after only two weeks? Also, has anyone else developed quite a sensitivity to sugar on citalopram? I've noticed that when I have a can of lemonade or a cookie (a very rare treat these days :weep:) I get very nauseous and my mood changes sharply.

I'm looking forward to posting on this site - it seems to be a nice community of people who want to help each other out. :D

its the old 2 steps forward, 1 step back I'm afraid... there will be ups and downs so you likely are feeling a lot better on day 13 but be prepared for it to not last, BUT the good days will help you through the bad, and the bad will get fewer and fewer.

RE: sugar... I am currently undergoing tests for sugar problems myself, not sure if its a coincidence or related, I am yet to find out... Hypoglycemia is what they suspect... I will update as and when, but I have never had any sugar related problems before!

I got sick on and off though on citalopram and was trying to relate it to anything and everything, I ended up just accepting they make me sick... fought on, and here I am... mostly ok!! lol!! :)

good luck with avoiding side effects... I normally avoid side effects of every drug but these.... Wow did these hit hard suddenly and I got a huge spectrum of effects! Some, I even get now, after 6 months on citalopram :)

x

Marty_67
17-03-14, 20:03
Hey JH, I did feel better two weeks in but I think I was happier because I had started to address my issues.

I'm 14 weeks in now, generally feeling much better. However, I've had a cold and have felt quite run down. This has made me feel quite low and I seem to be fighting my demons a little at the moment.

It is a marathon and not a sprint finish so I soldier on!!!

Keep us updated!

ynys
17-03-14, 21:23
Yes I think its possible I had an awful first two weeks on CIT into week three and feel so much better, My advice is take each day as it comes and don't get downhearted if you have an off day it will pass and they will get fewer and fewer

weplant
18-03-14, 16:06
So glad to hear this because I am having a awful time. I am on day 10 and on a very, very low dose..I don't want to give up...Need to keep hearing inspiring stories..:D

Marty_67
18-03-14, 22:23
I'm picking up after a bit of a dip as I mentioned.

Not sure what I expected but I guess no one is 100% all of the time.

I'm sure things will pick up for you soon :)

disco2195
18-03-14, 23:07
Hi it usually takes up to two weeks for the medication to take full effect. After that the medication starts helping you cope with day to day situations and make them a bit easier. If you have any problems then pop in and speak to your pharmacist.