PDA

View Full Version : Gasping for air and chest pressure when falling asleep

JohnH
17-03-14, 04:16
Hi everyone,

Long time "lurker" here, as In I've been reading the forums for a good while but never made an account until now. I was hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on my problem.

Firstly, this only ever happens the night after a night of drinking when trying to sleep.

It never happens whilst I'm upright, or during the day at any time.

It's only when I lie down and try to sleep.

Usually, as I am literally falling asleep, I get a horrible pressure in my chest and jolt awake from my falling-asleep-state, gasping for a big breath of air. During the few seconds that I experience this pressure sensation it literally feels as though if It doesn't stop, then I will die as a result of my heart stopping or something (Sorry I tried to avoid sounding dramatic). Thankfully it only lasts for a couple of seconds at most. My heart is often pounding after this happens as well.

On nights like tonight it stops me from sleeping as it ends up being a bit traumatic after the tenth time of it happening so I usually pass out from exhaustion early in the morning.

Is this a symptom of my anxiety?

I've had many, many ECG's etc and heart examinations and was told it's okay.

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you :rolleyes:

times71
17-03-14, 06:39
Sounds like sleep apnoea to me dude

BobbyDog
17-03-14, 10:45
It could be withdrawal from drinking alcohol, even if you are not a regular drinker this can still happen when you are suffering from anxiety. Speaking from experience, I would find sleep very difficult the night after overindulging. Our anxious minds are sensitised and we are very aware of any physiological changes.

Try and practice Diaphragmatic breathing so that when this happens you can calm yourself. You need to practice when you are in a relaxed state, so that you can do it in stressful situations without too much thought. Breathe in through the nose to a count of 4 and out through the nose to a count of 4. Put your hand on your diaphragm just below your navel, you should feel your stomach raise up as you breathe in and deflate as you breathe out. Your chest should be still.

SarahH
17-03-14, 12:34
That does not sound like sleep apnoea to me......... there are lots of posts on here about that happening when we fall asleep and during sleep. It happens to me a lot when I am very anxious but disappears when my anxiety lessens.Ectopic Beats!

Sarah

LiveAboveIt
18-03-14, 04:36
It's a very normal symptom of anxiety, much like heart palps. Not everyone gets them, we all have different symptoms that plague us when we experience anxiety. I especially experience hightened anxiety the day after drinking, night time is always worsened tenfold for whatever reason.

Juejue2005
14-07-16, 00:27
I have exactly the same as you have described! I also experience this mutiple times in one night and get left feeling shattered with a sore chest :-( did you ever get a diagnosis?