PDA

View Full Version : This time last year

Bekzie
17-03-14, 11:11
Well it's been a year this month since I joined this site in desperate need of help and support. After having anxiety and panic attacks for years I was going through a really bad patch. Constant panic attack, scared to eat, sleep, leave my house, pretty much terrified of everything. But worst of all I was convinced I was dying, each and every anxiety symptom was a serious illness in my mind, I was sure that every moment would be my last, but those moments always passed and nothing happened, a year later I'm still here and nothing has happened.
Advice and help from this site and others I feel like I am reaching that light at the end of the tunnel. I lived for years thinking I was alone feeling this way but after finding this site I saw just how many people were suffering exactly the same way as me.
I am not saying I am 100% anxiety free, I still have bad moments and even bad days. But I now cope with the bad times much better than before, I have had extremely stressful times, lost family members, family problems etc over the past 12 months but each and every time I have coped, I have got through every problem and not let anxiety stop me doing anything.

For me the things that helped me manage my anxiety were this site and others like it, herbal remedies (which I only took for a month) certain books on cbt, and a book called essential self help for the nerves by Claire weekes which I highly recommend! Reading that helped me understand the symptoms of anxiety and lose the fear I had of these symptoms.

I want everyone here on this site who is struggling right now to know that it is possible to get through this, anxiety is nothing to be scared of! It is just a frame if mind that you can change! Be positive, live your life and accept anxiety for what it is.

One quote that really stuck in my mind and helped me is
"Think of anxiety as a coat or handbag, no matter where you go or what you do you just have to pick it up and take it with you"
To me this means that we shouldn't let anxiety stop us doing anything, take it with you and you will see it's nothing to fear, which then helps us lose the fear.
Stay strong and keep fighting!

Catherine S
17-03-14, 11:38
Its a wonderful message. In the time that Ive been a member, ive witnessed highs and lows but at the same time, plenty of humour. I think we are a unique crowd of people. Yes we can bicker and snarl and snap at each other but underneath we all care about each other and want recovery for all.

The thing to remember is that worry and fear is part of life, we can't take it away completely, but we can learn to change how we react to it.

A great post :)

vrd_quest
18-03-14, 15:45
Can you please share books which u read on CBT.. I m also going thru same trauma, I am trying to come out of it.. Though these days are not like earlier days but still each n every moment is felt like hard to spend.

MrAndy
18-03-14, 15:52
well done bekzie

KLP
18-03-14, 22:09
:flowers: :emot-woot:Love it love it love.

Amandadvm60
23-03-14, 23:15
Well done Bekzie!!' I'm new to experiencing panic attacks. Please can u let me know yur own experience of what was the worst symptoms u experienced? I have tingles, chest tightness, dull pain in arms and back and sometimes sharp pain in my chest. Are these all symptoms u encountered?