PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help?

paula78
17-03-14, 15:15
I have had really bad palps since yesterday and short of breath plus. A restricted feeling in my throat and neck :( all I have taken is a diazepam cos I'm too scared to take the sertraline, oh god I feel awful, I'm thinking positvley an trying to keep active but it isn't working, I've just been up to put some ironing away an lay on my bed an my heart was literally thumping out of my chest and back it almost takes my breath :(:weep:

Fishmanpa
17-03-14, 15:34
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well :( I'm sure others will chime in but I've seen may say that you just have to "ride it out". The feelings will pass and that's all they are...feelings, no different than love, hate, happiness etc. I'm not a doctor but what you're describing are pretty classic anxiety symptoms. Anxiety/panic is just your body reacting to a perceived situation. Breathing exercise and relaxation techniques can help.

So you have been prescribed Sertraline and haven't started it yet? As many will tell you and I can tell you as well, it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to a SSRI. Some get side effects, some don't. Everyone is different. I had some stomach/bowel issues but it did help me through a tough time. Hope you feel better soon.

Positive thoughts

paula78
17-03-14, 16:12
Hi Fishmanpa,
Thankyou I know I should take the meds but really I am so scared to take them, I've just been told I have to wait 3-4 months for my CBT appointment too, I have been diagnosed with intense HA and have terrible thoughts and physical symptoms which I cnt stand much longer, the only thing I can manage to take is diazepam 2mg an I have only done this several times over the last 2 months, I need help soon I'm exhauseted x

Fishmanpa
17-03-14, 16:44
I had to start taking another BP med a week or so ago. I wasn't happy about it but it's needed with my history. So, I started and sure enough, the headaches and dizziness started the next day. Now?.. my body is adjusting and I don't notice anything. It's just one of those things you have to deal with sometimes.

I understand starting a medication can be scary but Sertraline is one of the most commonly prescribed SSRI's for many issues including anxiety. The way I see it, it's a start in the right direction. Anything is better than feeling the way you are now right? Your doctor wouldn't have prescribed if he/she didn't think it could help. Worst case is it doesn't and best case, you'll start feeling better. Many here are on it (I've taken it in the past) and it's been beneficial.

Positive thoughts

paula78
17-03-14, 17:29
Yeah I know your totally right I think maybe I should just take it an not think about taking it! I'm going away tomorrow to visit my mum for a couple of days and I may feel better having her around me when I take them, I have loads of support from my partner but for the first time in my life at the age of 35 I feel I need my mum, she is just getting overe 2 ruptured brain aneuyrsms too, I think that's when my anxiety kicked off just last november, I'm going to take your advice an I guess I could always half the dose to start with if I felt unsure,
Thankyou

Phuzella
17-03-14, 17:54
Your never too old to need your mum:)

paula78
17-03-14, 18:04
Couldn't aggree more :) I'm really looking forward to it, I'll be online all the time still you guys have really helped me an at the min I cdnt cope without you all thanks guys xx