PDA

View Full Version : A Repeat - Blood test?

e.dream996
17-03-14, 18:25
I thought that I have diabetes~ Or maybe I don't know......

For the past 4 years I didn't manage to take good care of myself (something that i regret!) My mother was diagnosed cancer (I have also lost my father.) therefore I was a complete & total mess regards to my diets & health etc! When my mother finally past away it took me a very long time to recover and re-organise my life, my grades/performance at school , finance and my future that I've long forgotten. And I'm too ashamed to even admit I don't even have a real friend/family member.

Anyway, I was living alone with a busy life during that 4 years taking care of her! I didn't care about what I was putting into my body, I basically had 2 slice of bread with some chocolate spread and then a chocolate bar for lunch for like 3 years (because I thought it's the best source of energy in order for me to last the day and It's the cheapest thing I could find.) ***and YES literally everyday** and then dinner is a bowl of rice with some vegetables with an apple. I've work in a MCdonald at weekends so (for lunch I usually have one of their meals). -Very unhealthy I know :wacko:

Now... I'm definitely not overweight (I understand I can still have diabetes even if I'm not overweight.) But I've experience other symptoms like; My toes and fingers are extremely COLD, random pins and needles in my hands & legs! (recently). /My fingers/ toes sometimes get darker as well! I don't know why, but i've extreme anxiety when it comes to illness & disease that last forever and cannot be cured !

Throughout that few years I couldn't sleep until around 12-1am almost everyday and feeling very stressed out from time to time! I'm just so afraid because it took me a LONG time to reorganise and plan my future & life out. Now it's gonna ruin everything.

I had a fasting-blood test (It has something about glucose written on the list)~ And basically I called them for result this morning and they said the result was "satisfactory" but the doctor wants me to have another test done? What does it actually mean by "satisfactory" , should i be worried? Have they discover something unusual? Something worse than diabetes? Why do I need another test?? God I'm so stressed out right now! It's unreal!

I would appreciate any help & answers & Thank you so much for reading. :bighug1:

Phuzella
17-03-14, 18:48
Satisfactory means it's normal. If you're worried why they want another blood test, ask them. Don't be afraid to ask doctors questions. Maybe look into improving your diet and doing some exercise?
Sorry that you've lost your mum and dad, that takes a lot to get over:hugs:

Glaws
17-03-14, 21:48
Ring and ask tomorrow. It may be that it was on the higher end/top parameter of normal so it would be prudent to have a repeat test at some point.
Your doctor would soon have called you if there was anything wrong with any of your tests. The fact you had to ring is reassuring.
X

Forgot to say that I had a glucose test which was just over the limit so had to have a fasting test which was fine. I had eaten chocolate just before the first test!!! Did you fast for the correct amount of time before the test?

sarahsarah
18-03-14, 13:24
Sometimes people have slightly high fasting blood glucose but further tests, such as a second fasting blood glucose test or another which tests how well you tolerate a high dose of carbohydrates, (called an OGTT) that they don't have diabetes at all.

If someone does have diabetes but their fasting glucose was at the high end of satisfactory, it is highly unlikely they would have any symptoms at all. Your symptoms don't sound like they have anything to do with undiagnosed diabetes at all. Nerve issues can happen with diabetes that been uncontrolled for many years but if your fasting test came back as satisfactory, then that won't be the case.

I know it is nerve-wracking when you get told you have to have a repeat blood test but in my experience (which is a lot, I have type 2 diabetes and have loads of blood tests a year) it is usually when the doc has forgotten to order a particular test. They just tick boxes on a screen, they often miss one. Xx