PDA

View Full Version : Anaphylaxis fears

Freaked
17-03-14, 21:27
I read about a condition called MCAS that sometimes goes with a condition I have (POTS). It can cause anaphylaxis (though it mostly doesn't). Anyway since then I've felt like I've been getting itchy and stingy all over. Atm my throat feels really hot and sore. And then obviously my face goes a bit red and I freak out more. For example I'm afraid to eat egg atm cos I'm worried I've developed an allergy :-/ Anyone else get itchy and red when they panic or get very anxious?

yenool
18-03-14, 12:36
I read about a condition called MCAS that sometimes goes with a condition I have (POTS). It can cause anaphylaxis (though it mostly doesn't). Anyway since then I've felt like I've been getting itchy and stingy all over. Atm my throat feels really hot and sore. And then obviously my face goes a bit red and I freak out more. For example I'm afraid to eat egg atm cos I'm worried I've developed an allergy :-/ Anyone else get itchy and red when they panic or get very anxious?

Yes. As well as feeling like your throat is closing up and it is difficult to swallow or breath.

Very common anxiety symptoms and really nothing to worry about. Anaphylaxis is rare and if you were experiencing it you would know about it and be calling for a doctor not posting on the internet about it :D

In the highly unlikely event you did suffer from this you should be aware it is highly treatable. Unless you are stranded on top of a mountain somewhere with no medical help available you would be fine anyway. :)

Freaked
18-03-14, 17:50
Thanks, yenool; good to know it's possible to experience itching/stinging from anxiety (I know it's always listed as a symptom, but no one really seems to mention it other than that). See I always worry that I'm getting a minor version of a reaction that will become anaphylaxis :-/ And there was a really high-profile case here recently where a poor girl died in the street in the centre of Dublin from a nut allergy cos she forgot her epipen and a pharmacist wouldn't give her mom one, so that makes anaphylaxis seem pretty terrifying. But hopefully it's just fear about my condition running away with me again.