PDA

View Full Version : dental procedure left me in fear?

10kgirl
18-03-14, 02:14
I had a root canal done around 7 years ago and recently found out that I have a cavity on that tooth all the way up covered by gums. So I went to the dentist to get it fixed. The dentist gave me novocaine (common anesthesia for dental procedures?) so it can numb the surroundings of the gum so it didnt hurt. The procedure took almost two hours and the novocaine worn off a few times so the dentist gave me five rounds of novocaine everytime he sensed that the numbness is gone.

I was having anxiety during the whole procedure, when it was done I stood u and the first thing I noticed was that I was kind of dizzy so I told my dentist and she said it must be because I havent ate since morning but the first thing I concluded was that it was the novocaine side effects because of how much she gave me and when I asked her she said she gave me a low dose. The dizziness went away but I still had the anxiety over novocaine so I googled about it to learn about the symptoms and it said there were serious uncommon effects like cardiac arrest, etc.

Its been almost three hrs since the procedure, I am still worrying whether serious side effects with hit. I was wondering if all the side effects and bad effects happen immediately right after injection of does it come on a while after? :/ I've been having lots of worry and anxiety over little things lately. Each time, I always think that something will happen to me. I dont know if I'm overthinking it but I feel like my chest feels warm and I'm worried.

Lilharry
18-03-14, 08:05
You probably felt dizzy because you'd been lying down for 2 hours! I always feel dizzy after I get up from a procedure like that. You have nothing to worry about. THey wouldn't have sent you home if they thought there was anything worry about. And if you were going to react to the novocaine it would have happened then and there not when it's wearing off. Try not to worry. Do some nice things for yourself - eat a healthy meal and have a nice bath with epsom salts and essential oils.

MyNameIsTerry
18-03-14, 08:53
Yeah, it would have been a reaction to it at that point if out was going to happen. Side effects can be bad for all sorts of drugs and they have to be listed despite the fact they could be rate.

Think of it this way. Like you said, its common to use that in dental procedures, so your dentist would be very experienced in what it could do.

Being dizzy could be a combination of lying down too long, meeting some food, dehydration is a common one and your anxiety had been making you suffer for 2 hours.

Just make sure you are ok now. If so, maybe that's all it was.

I know I felt a bit odd after a wisdom tooth was extracted in far less time so you would be more frazzled than I was.

Annie0904
18-03-14, 09:00
Your dentist would not have given you more than a safe dose so you would be not at risk from it. The dizziness would have been as Lilharry said, from lying down for so long in the same position and from the trauma of having the tooth fixed.