PDA

View Full Version : Think this is social phobia

valeriej
28-11-06, 13:26
Not sure about this being social phobia but I can't think what else it is.

I am avoiding using the stairs at work (don't do lifts - claustaphobic) during busy times because I get panicky when someone else is on the stairs. I can do going down because I know I'm leaving but even then I'm shaky, going up is the problem.

Take yesterday for instance. I went to see the work counsellor who is in another building. She suggested doing it in stages and breaking it down. So when I got back to my office building I walked up the 1st flight went on to the floor itself and looked out of the window for a bit. I started walking up to the 2nd floor and although I had music on I heard someone on the stairs below (I couldn't even see that person) and I started panicking, getting all hot and breathless and wanting to get out and feeling I couldn't. I managed to calm myself down by sipping some water and really concentrating on my music but was rooted to the spot for a few seconds before I made it to the 2nd floor where again I went on to the floor. I made it okay up to the 3rd floor where my desk is - no-one was around.

I seem to be okay on the floor in open plan but even if I'm in the toilets (in the cubicle) and someone comes in I start to get anxious.

Do you think this is social phobia of some sort? I thought I was getting panicky on the stairs because I was breathless from the stairs (I am not fit) but I wasn't even out of breath walking from the 1st as I'd had a rest and was only half way up to the 2nd floor. I'll have to discuss this with the work counsellor on the 11th and I see the doctor tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Valerie

WILL0W
29-11-06, 11:55
It could be the Claustrophobia, as stairways can be a bit like that. It depends if you're worrying about the people or not as to whether its more of a social phobia thing.

You're doing well at trying to overcome this, thats really good. It might be a secondary thing, as you have the fear of enclosed spaces, you're feeling very anxious and then you hear someone else approaching, and you don't want to be rushed in this situation you are finding hard and also are maybe worrying they will notice you are panicking.

How did the doc's appointment go?

take care and best wishes
Willow.:)