PDA

View Full Version : Freud's idea on Repression

LunaLiuna
20-03-14, 16:03
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to write this as I feel it may be beneficial for someone who's perhaps lost as to why they developed Anxiety or any other form of neuroses.

Many of Sigmund Freud's idea are controversial to say the least, but his scientifically backed up findings can help some people.

In the modern world many people are pushed to repress many different things, this damming up of emotions can cause various problems which is what I thought whoever's reading this could explore in themselves.

Freud likened the mental disorder to a boil. Being unable to break the skin, the boil wreaks havoc on the inside and inevitably causes the various symptoms attributed to each specific mental ailment. Because the boil is being repressed it eventually gets purposely kept in the subconscious mind, unable to escape, the feeling is lost from the concious mind. Which in turn causes the patient to become wrapped in the circle not knowing how or why it's happend, therefore fuelling the cycle. You know where it goes next.

I'm not saying this is the cause for every disorder as there are many other variables, but perhaps it's something to ponder :)

Here's a little quote from him that pretty much sums it all up, "Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.”

This is a very basic explanation by the way, I hope this helps!

Oosh
20-03-14, 16:27
So basically you're saying I'm a boil ? Like my heads a big boil or something ?

THANKS !

(Ha)

LunaLiuna
20-03-14, 16:51
No I didn't say that! It was a comparison! Your definately not a boil!

I should of used the iceberg explanation :doh:

Oosh
20-03-14, 17:09
So now we're all cold with pointy heads ?? CHARMING

haha.

I'd not heard this Freud thing before. But it's something I've thought about before.
You always here (and say) I/we/you have anxiety but it's probably always started with a clear reason, but you forget what that reason is and then just carry around anxiety. Feeling anxious then becomes a habit.
You wake, remember you have anxiety, and do it all again not even knowing anymore what originally bothered you.

MyNameIsTerry
21-03-14, 00:55
I often call my patterns of anxiety & depression as ulcers as they come and escalate until I get up one day to find Im feeling different.

Just like one of mouth ulcers. It makes food taste naff, the surrounding areas are affected, etc.