PDA

View Full Version : So coming to terms with being a hypercondriac...

Davy
20-03-14, 23:24
Hello! My names David.

This is my first time using a forum of any sort so should be interesting. I think I've joined because I've decided I should probably do something about my hypochondria.

I am twenty two years old and have been suffering from hypochondria and health anxiety ever since I was sixteen. I remember it all started after I picked up a magazine and read about a boy the same age as me who developed a brain tumor, I remember constantly thinking I had a brain tumor after this - so much so until I had multiple scans and checks to prove I was fine. Ever since this I have often been worried about becoming ill and constantly feel like death is around the corner - which is a horrible feeling. I have been literally hundreds of times to the doctors to check for various types of cancers and other diseases. More recently, as in two weeks ago I started having chest pains and so automatically assumed I was having a heart attack - in the period of two weeks I have been to A&E three times (including today) and have had all sorts of tests carried out - every time I have been told it is a viral infection and even though I can see that it absolutely is and I should trust the doctors...I still have that doubt in my mind.
I'm generally a happy and confident individual and my hypochondria is something I have been hiding away and dealing with myself - not because I am ashamed to say it but because I have always just kind of dealt with it, it's only now I realize that it is not normal to constantly worry about your health. I think its time to change that. It is something that is certainly getting worse with time and sometimes all I can think about is that constant fear of having a life threatening disease. I loose sleep and sometimes can't enjoy spending time with friends because I am just thinking about what could be wrong with me. It sucks and so would be nice to hear from other people who suffer hypochondria as well and how you deal with it!

Nice to get that out :)

Lisa.w1979
21-03-14, 00:05
Hey. I too suffer this, although its now known as Health Anxiety.

It started nearly 5 years ago in practically the same as yours....worry of a brain tumour, then cancer and now my heart. I've been worrying about my heart for the last 18 months. I had an ecg last week, results were fine. But still I think there's something wrong. I've convinced myself that it doesn't matter what tests I have, a heart attack is a sudden thing and it can't be predicted. Every time I get a new twinge or pain I go into full blown blind panic. I'd had enough of this whole panic thing two weeks ago and had a total melt down in my doctors office. The poor guy almost shoved me out of his door and told me to book the aforementioned ecg. Since then, I have (very unsuccessfully) tried Prozac. I stopped taking it today after 10 days. I now want to concentrate on beating this myself, with no drugs, once and for all.

I only joined this site today so I'm a newbie, but I'm positive there are loads of people knowing how you feel. You are not alone!