PDA

View Full Version : Havent posted before but would like some advice

leigh32
21-03-14, 10:11
This all started about 7 years ago when i had my first ever panic attack, they went on for a while until i was able to 'breathe' myself out of them. Since the panic attacks stopped ive suffered from health anxiety. Every day i get various symptoms ranging from 'floaters' to stomach problems to headaches to dizziness and a constant fear of being ill. I recently checked my blood pressure and it was high which its never been so that was a worry too. I know these problems are all due to anxiety but i cant seem to get myself out of it. Ive never been to the doctor about these as i dont want to be given a prescription and be sent on my way, id rather help myself but i cant seem to give myself the kick up the backside that i need.
Also having a lack of sleep from a 17 month old baby who has never slept all night hasnt helped my symptoms and the fact hes a very clingy baby.
Would be nice to know that im not losing my mind and that these symptoms are caused by anxiety and also some advice about taking St Johns Wort as i thought that might help.
Sorry for the long post and thank you im advance for any advice

cpe1978
21-03-14, 10:20
Hi Leigh and sorry you are feeling rubbish.

The reality is that no one can tell you whether these symptoms are caused by anxiety, but what they can tell you is that they can be.

Personally if it were me (and I was in your shoes not so long ago), I would be inclined to visit the doctor. Find a doctor that you get on with and think you can trust and then divide the appointment into two. Spend the first half discussing the fact that you have anxiety and agreeing an approach to deal with that. It may include meds, referral for therapy, strategies for channelling concerns about physical health etc. but for me the critical thing is having a plan that you can then implement and take some control.

Then I would use the second half of the appointment to discuss your physical concerns. Tell them that you are worried about your physical concerns being dismissed as anxiety and that it is important to you that they take physical worries seriously whilst not just referring on for tests for reassurance. For me when I went through this, the last part was crucial. I knew enough to know what I had to say to get the tests that I craved, however me and my GP had an agreement that she would give me her qualified perspective and that I would trust her. Up until now this has led to nothing more than a blood test.

It is important to understand that a doctor is there to look after you mentally as well as physically, but you as the patient also have a critical role to play in both your physical and mental health. You need to view your GP as a partner, not as a paternalistic provider of care as it is that historical dynamic that leads to the 'prescription mentality'.

Good luck, you will see looking back through postings on this website that there are people who are where you are now, who through hard work and a plan are in quite a different place now.

LF87
21-03-14, 10:37
Hi Leigh,

My advice would be the same as cpe. Go see your doctor and explain how you're feeling. If you have a good doctor you'll get some help for how you're feeling mentally and physically, and maybe a referral to have some CBT through a counsellor/psychologist, which has been hugely helpful to me on the past. Remember not to be too hard on yourself. You said you just want to help yourself but can't manage to kick yourself into it. I often feel like that and it gets me really down. Mental health is just as real and important as any physical illness, and you sound like you're coping pretty well considering you've got a little baby! :)
Regarding st Johns wort, I took this many years ago. Give it a try, see if it helps. I now just take Kalms, they're herbal too. Seem to help a little.
Hope you feel better soon.x

leigh32
21-03-14, 11:55
Thanks both for the replies. I always put off going to the doctors as i know in my own self that these arent a real illness, that these symptoms are in my head. I dont know if ive written that wrong but i know im not suffering from no serious illness that needs testing but these issues are in my own mind. I can give myself a pain just thinkin bout something so i know this problem is in my mind. Like i said lack of sleep seems to make these issues 10 times worse and then dealin wit my other children on top seem to just add to it all. Thats why i wanted to give the St johns wort a go as i know my problems are at the low end of anxiety so just need a little pick me up. What do you think of the kalms? How good are they?

LF87
21-03-14, 12:14
Well it's really good that at you know it's anxiety causing your synptoms, I still worry that there's something wrong! And that's even after seeing my doctor.
Yeah Kalms are good. It says on the packet helps relieve periods of anxiety, so might be perfect for you if you just need a little something. They're about 6 pound, get them in most shops.x

leigh32
21-03-14, 12:48
Yeh i know its the anxiety, thats why i dont feel the need for a doctor. I read a lot of the threads here and i know some people have really bad anxiety so im thankfull that mine isnt that bad but its still bad enough for me personally. I have beautiful kids and a wonderful partner but its causing me to not enjoy life when i should be enjoying it to the fullest. I think i might try the kalms for a while and see how i go wit them. Writing it down has helped too coz i dont even speak to my partner about it so getting it off my chest today has helped. Thanks LF87

LF87
21-03-14, 16:37
I'm the opposite, I've exhausted talking to my partner about it, he just tells me to shut up now, haha.
No worries, hope they work for you.