PDA

View Full Version : Going out tonight to a new place with new people..panicking

breeze25
21-03-14, 16:53
Started a new job 3 months ago, been getting on well with a few of the girls, I was invited out for tonight as a few of the girls are going out for a meal and a few drinks. I have managed to get my health anxiety under control, but I have been panicking like mad about tonight.

The time we are meeting is 7-7.30, we are going to a place I have never been before (but I went their at lunchtime with my hubby for a drink so I knew the layout) but I am still freaking out about going in alone.

I do not know the girls well enough to say hey can I walk in with you because I get nervous on my own.

I have wrestled with cancelling but I no longer give in to my anxiety. I keep thinking about walking into a crowded place and will I be able to find them, do I get early and wait around outside till I see someone I know. I should of just said yesterday can I go with someone, I do not have anyones mobile number, but I have given mine in case something comes up and they need to change the arrangements, agggghhhhhh

Sorry needed to rant. I know once we all meet up I will feel better but at the moment I am a wreck.

Annie0904
21-03-14, 17:35
Anticipatory anxiety is terrible! You need to change your thoughts. Picture yourself walking in there, smiling seeing your friends and having a great time. It helps me if I look on the internet at the menu before I go and choose what I want. Once it was a different menu when I got there and it did send me into a bit of a panic but I calmed myself down and found something else :)
Just feel the fear and do it anyway and have a great time :D

breeze25
21-03-14, 17:45
Thanks Annie :)

Catherine S
21-03-14, 17:58
It's always the 'what if' with us situational/social anxies isn't it? We put ourselves into the future too much and think of all the awful things that can happen. When I look back on some of the times I've done this, I see that nothing ever did happen, or certainly nothing awful! As for the times I've cancelled..well I'll never know what great times I've missed :)

Phuzella
21-03-14, 18:25
Why not say that you hate walking in places on your own? Loads of people feel the same way:)

Round in circles
21-03-14, 18:38
You could get there a bit early and stand inside near the door so you'll see people as they walk in. It's a shame you don't have anyone's mobile number but you'll know for next time. I hope it's a great night. Have fun!

breeze25
22-03-14, 20:50
Well as always for me the evening went well and I wonder why I got myself into a tizzy!

I had a glass of wine before I went and that took the edge off, I walked in and went straight for the toilet came out and was about to walk to the bar when someone called my name.

Had a good night and exchanged numbers and agreed to another night out in a few weeks :)

Annie0904
22-03-14, 22:41
:yesyes:

Catherine S
22-03-14, 22:46
When you say as always...you mean you always go through this, but you always know that it will be ok? A little confused here sorry.

Round in circles
23-03-14, 21:42
Brilliant! I'm glad it went so well, and that you got phone numbers for next time. Now you can look forward to the next one without worrying so much :)