PDA

View Full Version : Help! Partner using Diazepam long term!

Yorkshire Pudding
21-03-14, 19:10
Dear all

Thank you in advance for reading, I'm really hoping I can get some advice on this one. I'll try keep it brief!

My partner suffers from anxiety and fairly early on in our relationship (several years ago) he admitted that he used Diazepam for a fear of flying and of some other travel situations. Bit by bit, over time, he admitted that he was obtaining these drugs over the internet as he found that the couple of mg tablets his GP was giving him were not enough. We had a couple of bad flights and over the following couple of years I would notice if we ever needed to go anyway via public transport/flights etc he would have a few pints and seem really really drunk, then become quite crabby and easily irritated. I'd originally thought it was just flying but I eventually got it out of him that it was for pretty much all transport. Holidays were getting difficult as he'd be so out of it on the plane as he'd drink several pints too. After a few difficult conversations/arguments he confessed that his routine was to take several (up to 8) 10mg tablets prior to the flight! With the drink on top it was like he turned into an argumentative toddler and if I'm honest it was really hard to deal with him in such a mood.

A year or so later I stumbled across packets and packets of empty Diazepam packets in a drawer...I was really shocked as I'd perhaps stupidly thought he only used it occasionally...there were so many that I worked out he must be using it on a daily basis. I didn't confront him as he'd been so argumentative about me asking about the Diazepam before that I was worried about the reaction/argument it would likely cause. I instead decided to just keep an eye on things.

Another couple of years passed and the repeated lying chipped away at me. Packets would come through the post and I'd find more and more empty packets. Eventually, about a year ago I finally snapped and told him I'd found all those empty packets years before. It was a tough conversation and with a lot of pushing he finally admitted he'd been taking it on a daily basis, admitting to using 20mg per day for the best part of the last decade.

The fact he's been hiding this for so long really bothers me, I'm worried about the long term health implications too. He drives everyday too...surely this is dangerous? His work is suffering as he's so forgetful...a fact which also drives me nuts!! Sometimes when I talk to him it's like there's a satellite delay...

He's still not booked a doctor's appt to sort this out and makes statements about me not trusting him. This is really upsetting me. What do people here think? Does this all sound like it adds up? Can he be helped? I'm worried about the legality of what he's doing also as he orders off the internet...arrrgggghhh...too many problems!! :weep:

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it x

SarahH
21-03-14, 19:18
WOW that's a really tough situation to be in and if I am honest, if it were me, I would look online for a support group specifically for relatives of drug users. I know that ALANON support alcoholics so there must be a group to support relatives such as yourself.
He really needs to accept this has become a problem so that he can deal with it.

Good luck

sarah

Annie0904
21-03-14, 19:18
He can only be helped if he wants to be helped :( He really needs to see a doctor for help in withdrawing from the diazepam. As I am sure you know yourself, buying any tablets via internet is not a good idea. I really hope he can be talked into seeing his doctor. x

Lucym681
21-03-14, 19:22
Hello.
I occasionally take a diazepam myself on really bad days, it does feel like the more you have the more you want. My doctor was very reluctant to give me more, been though I assured him I only probably take 1 in a fortnight. There are plenty of ways your partners doctor can help him get through every day. Does he have anxiety every day if he doesn't take them? Ask him if he would like you to go with him for support. The doctor wouldn't take him off them completely straight away, but he would be helped to come off slowly, and be given something he can take more long term for anxiety.

Dying_Swan
22-03-14, 11:31
Hi Yorkshire Pudding

I'm sorry you are going through this. As others have said, he can be helped, but only if he wants to be helped. I have used Diazepam for years but stick to a very low dose. Benzodiazepines, as I am sure you're aware, are very addictive both physically and psychologically, and people generally become quite tolerant of a specific dose, thereby needing a higher and higher dose to get the same effect. 20mg is quite a high dose I think (I could be wrong), although I am unsure about the driving issue, as it probably depends on the individual. My GP recently said to me that he would have concerns about me driving if I increased up to 5mg (I take 1mg at present).

As you've said, buying them from the internet is a risky business and I would strongly suggest he sees his GP and is honest with them about how much he is taking, as he will need support to reduce his dose and come off them. I don't know whether buying them from the internet is legal or not, but you have the added concern that you don't truly know what you are buying.

I completely understand you being upset about finding all these packets, but I think it's like any addiction. Addictions make people very secretive and quite devious, not because they are "bad" people but it's just the nature of addiction.

The other issue which needs to be discussed with the GP is mixing Diazepam with alcohol, which I believe is not a good idea and the GP should be able to advise on this.

Would it be worth you seeing your own GP for some advice? They won't be able to advise you on his specific case due to confidentiality, but they might be able to give you some general advice and point you in the right direction?

Yorkshire Pudding
24-03-14, 10:22
Thank you, Sarah, Lucy, Annie and Swan. I appreciate you all taking the time to reply. It was good to get it all out and written down. I spend so much time worrying about it and often just feel 'stuck', but I feel a bit less stuck now, which is good.

He will only get help when he wants to, I hear that for sure, and I know I can't force him. He is anxious every day and I'm sure there must be other ways of him dealing with it...I'd love him to realise how damaging all this is but I really don't think he does. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to remind him of things or repeat entire conversations where he's so forgetful. If I'm honest I get very frustrated with it. I will definitely check out things with my GP and see if there's any other online support, though this is very helpful.

Thank you all xxx