PDA

View Full Version : How do you explain anxiety?

Lucym681
21-03-14, 20:43
I just feel rubbish. I feel like the people who are closest to me don't understand. They don't understand that when I feel so low, and panicky, and really worried, I need help. People can't understand that I can't help the way I feel. I'm sick of hearing "stop worrying. Worrying won't change anything" blah blah blah. :weep: when all you want to do is lie in bed and cry and all they can say is "stop being stupid" When you know you should be happy, but you just can't.

Annie0904
21-03-14, 20:45
I say to people "Think about a time when you have felt really frightened about something, the scariest situation you have been in...well that is how I feel 24/7"

almamatters
21-03-14, 20:48
I describe anxiety like a horrible feeling of doom following you around all day. It's a feeling of being scared and stressed and not having anything specific to relate it to. that is how it is for me anyway.

Lucym681
21-03-14, 21:29
What do you do when you're told to stop worrying?

Phuzella
21-03-14, 21:31
Say if I could I would and leave it at that, those who don't understand, never will.

almamatters
21-03-14, 21:33
I have given up answering people who tell me to stop worrying, I know they mean well, but I can't stop worrying!

Lucym681
21-03-14, 21:43
It's frustrating that I feel like I should be happy but can't shake this 'thing' that's taking over my brain!!

Annie0904
21-03-14, 22:02
Accept the anxiety as it is only through acceptance that you can deal with it. You will get better, just like any other illness it takes time. Don't focus on the negatives instead praise yourself for every little positive even if it is just that you managed to smile today or some other little achievement. The more positives you get the closer you are to recovery. :hugs:

trish1955
22-03-14, 11:46
I say to people "Think about a time when you have felt really frightened about something, the scariest situation you have been in...well that is how I feel 24/7"
Just pm you xxx

loreen
22-03-14, 15:56
That's a good answer Annie !

I really don't think anyone can fully understand anxiety unless they have been there themselves. People probably mean well when they say " never mind, spring is coming " etc. If only it was that easy to turn off anxiety !!

It's such a difficult thing to try and explain, I think the only people who "get it" are those who have been through it.

Rennie1989
22-03-14, 17:47
When people tell me to stop worrying or anything alike I say 'If I could stop worrying that easily I wouldn't be in this mess in the first place!'

My family don't understand. They cannot understand why I get depressed (because they don't realise that 'depressed' the emotion and 'depression' the illness are two completely different things) and how I get anxious about things that are mundane. I told a colleague yesterday that during genuinely scary situations i.e. a missile being launched 20 miles from me and nearly crash landing into Gatwick I am calm as a cucumber, yet going to work, visit a friend or getting the bus feels like I'm on death row and I don't know why. She understood, but like hell my family would understand.

Lucym681
22-03-14, 17:55
It is horrible. My partner tries telling my not to be depressed because I have him, family, friends, job and a home, and I'm grateful for what I have but can't shake the depression. I hate how he thinks I'm not happy and he feels useless because he can't do anything to change it. It's worst when he thinks it's him making me unhappy. I feel bad because when everything seems good, that usually means something bad is going to happen. Xxx

I'mdave27
23-03-14, 15:11
Explain it how you feel it should be explained

Ryan92
24-03-14, 02:04
Hi Lucy, I feel the same too. My family say to me 'stop worrying' or 'you're worrying again' or 'you don't need to worry about this' which is easy for them to say but I cant stop worrying or feeling anxious :doh: (I suffer from GAD).

Of course there are people who do understand :D like us on NMP :)

I know it might sound difficult but if you've not tried, maybe you should have a heart to heart talk with your family about how your worrying is affecting your life and you need help. Im sure they care about you and don't want to see you constantly worrying and felling depressed.

Tell them how it makes you feel, even tell them about times when you've felt very down or anxious.

Have you been to any therapy sessions or taking medication ?

Hopefully they'll (your family) help you, maybe they could go with you for support to see your doctor /GP to be referred to a consultant who will then assess what type of therapy will help you the most and ask your doctor about medication if they feel it would help you.

You could have a look on these sites for help

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/advice_to_partners.html
http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/blog/i-talk-about-anxiety-but-people-dont-know-how-to-respond
http://www.healthcentral.com/anxiety/cf/slideshows/7-things-anxiety-sufferers-would-like-their-family-and-friends-t

Sorry if this is not that helpful :doh: I hope you feel better soon :)

Lucym681
24-03-14, 20:43
Hi RJI92,
I do talk to my partner, but my family don't even know. I don't know how I'd even tell them what I'm going through. I'm sure they'd think I was being stupid. I'm on sertraline, and on waiting list for CBT, so hopefully I can start getting back to feeling like me again soon. I usually just pretend everything's ok as I only really see my family once every couple of weeks. I talk to my partner though, and pester my doctor, but now I'm starting to feel bad going there because I don't want them to dread seeing me.

Charlotteee89
25-03-14, 01:18
When I had severe Social Anxiety it took many years for my parents to understand what on earth was going on with me & to this day I still get sny comments.

At the moment I'm going through a horrendous bout of Anxiety which I haven't really talked to my parents about, only little bits here & there. But my mum is more understanding now, she's read things I've shown her about Obsessive Thinking & is very sympathetic.

When you're going through so much mentally it is very hard to talk to people you're close to about it - I think it's cause you're scared of their reaction. The last thing you want is people you're closest to to not understand.

I always find talking to my GP a hell of a lot easier, I also find talking to my Therapist easy aswell.

Some people will just never understand Anxiety, that's the thing I've come to realise. However, I don't really care, they can get on with that. :)

Have you talked to your GP or a Therapist about your Anxiety? You might feel a lot better talking to someone who actually does understand? :)

Blackphoenix
25-03-14, 19:00
I compare it to feeling as though you have unintentionally upset someone and need to apologise to them, only no one has been hurt and it's all in your head.