PDA

View Full Version : Bereavement and Anxiety

Hannahpatricia
21-03-14, 21:47
Hello all,

My dog of 8 years, diagnosed 9 months ago with bone cancer of the skull, has taken a turn for the worse and stopped eating or moving. My mom is taking him to be euthanized tomorrow. My anxiety and depression is through the roof. I feel sad, lonely, depressed, and angry all at once. This dog is my best friend, and before he got sick he used to run and hike with me. I don't want him to suffer, I just can't comprehend him being gone by tomorrow at this time.

Some say it's 'just a dog' but he's a member of my family, and I can't imagine life without him. :weep:

stay_gold
21-03-14, 21:53
Sorry to hear that. I know dogs are so loving and loyal it is really sweet. It's so natural to feel anxious about this right now, maybe just be with your mum, someone that can relate and you can bother comfort each other.

Phuzella
21-03-14, 21:55
My dog is 14 and can no longer come on long walks with me, which makes me sad. However I know that dogs will never live as long as people, so we have to say goodbye to them all too soon.
Of course he's a member of your family, anyone who says otherwise has no soul in my opinion.
Love him and talk to him until he goes, then remember the good times you shared, :)

Annie0904
21-03-14, 21:56
I have lost pets myself and it is heartbreaking as yes they are members of your family.
The feelings you have at the moment are natural responses to a bereavement and will get easier with time. It is best for your dog as he will not be suffering any more. You will have many beautiful memories to treasure. Maybe you could make a little memories box with photos and other things that belong to your dog? Sending you lot of hugs :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Round in circles
21-03-14, 23:31
Make sure you spend some time saying goodbye tonight. I had two cats who ended up staying at my mum's house when I moved. The younger one got sick really quickly. She had an undiagnosed tumour and when they found it they said there was nothing they could do. Fortunately the vet let mum bring her home for one night so I could get to say goodbye. I got to give her a cuddle and take lots of pictures. The thing that stuck with me was that there was that she kept going off to a quiet corner with this look in her eyes that said she knew it was her time.

The older cat was sick for a few months with congestive heart failure. At first both we and the vet thought we'd have a few months to say our goodbyes, then she sadly took a sudden turn for the worse. My mum took her to get put down before telling me. It broke my heart I never got to say goodbye, and I've never forgiven my mum for that even after about a year.

Ryan92
22-03-14, 00:37
Hi Hannah, Im very very sorry to hear about your dog. Some people say its almost like losing part of your family but to me you are losing a part of your family. Me and my parents adopted a west highland terrier in 1998 and in 2009 she started having health problems. Eventually she became diabetic, arthritis and partially blind :weep:. Then one night 3 years ago she fainted and had what looked like an epileptic fit and lost bowel control so my parents took her to be euthanised. Before my parents took her I gave her lots of hugs while I was crying. It wasn't fair to let her carry on suffering, she had no quality of life. She was my best friend. I fully understand the pain you're going through :hugs:. Give him a big hug :bighug1: Remember all the great times youve had together :) You loved him and he will have loved you :) :hugs:

LiveAboveIt
23-03-14, 07:23
I'm sorry, Hannah.. I remember when I lost my dog.. Sending you virtual hugs.