PDA

View Full Version : Is this hypochondria or a real problem?

sassywatermelons
21-03-14, 23:41
I have noticed recently that my memory has gotten a bit worse but the weird thing is is that I keep mixing words up and I don't know why. I think I've always done it but my hypochondria has gotten worse lately so I think I'm just noticing it more. Anyway, when I talk, I often get my words mixed up it is so weird. Like today, I went out to eat with my sister and I meant to say "mushrooms" but I said "onions" and then I meant to say "Chocolate" but I said "ice cream". Is this normal? It happens almost every day but I don't know why. Could it be a brain tumor? (Also, I get anxiety a lot but it isn't really bad to where I'm having panic attacks. More like a little bit of anxiety about my health, for example. Could this be it?) I'm really worried now that it is a brain tumor because I went online and looked up the symptoms and it seems like I have all the symtopms! (I know this is common in health anxiety, but what if it's a real problem?) I'm only 16 and I'm really worried.:weep:

Catherine S
21-03-14, 23:51
Nobody can tell you if you have a brain tumour or not except your doctor, but you are right in that stress, worry and anxiety can cause memory lapses so its my guess its connected to your stress levels.

sassywatermelons
21-03-14, 23:54
My mom won't let me go to the doctor because I'm constantly bothering her with my health anxieties. It seems like everyday it is something new. I've realized that the 'aphasia' is worse when I focus on it. Also, I keep randomly forgetting words and then taking a few seconds to remember them. It is really worrying and it scares me everytime. It seems like it's getting worse but I don't know if it is the anxiety or not.:shrug:

Catherine S
22-03-14, 00:00
Ironically, women often experience memory loss..forgetting people's names etc..during the menopause years, so hormones in turmoil are to blame there, what's to say the same isn't happening at 16, since hormones can also be in turmoil at this time in our lives too. You already admit to having health anxiety so perhaps you know deep down that this is just part of that.

sassywatermelons
22-03-14, 00:03
I think I already know that it is but having health anxiety there is always that little voice in your head saying "yeah, but what if it's serious this time?" and it really sucks because I don't know the difference.

LunaLiuna
22-03-14, 00:04
I see this is your first thread so :welcome:

First of all no one here is able to diagnose you, but personally I've experienced those symptoms due to anxiety (I hope)

Anyway, the basic thing that happens due to stress etc is that your hippocampus (part of your brain that processes/retrieves memories) gets less fuel, and your other parts get more fuel :)

By the way, your a year younger than me and from what I know, the ailment you fear is close to non existent in people our age.

Nice too meet you :D

sassywatermelons
22-03-14, 00:07
Thank you! I've read online that brain cancer is rare in people my age and I have no family history of brain cancer so I really have no reason to worry, but dealing with health anxiety (I also have OCD but I think this is part of that) really messes up my brain. I just hate having bad memory because I play piano and it's gotten harder to remember my pieces! >:C

LunaLiuna
22-03-14, 00:10
Awwww, don't worry I know what that's like when it interferes with hobbies. I love to write a lot and when you can't find the right words it can get pretty annoying!

sassywatermelons
22-03-14, 00:11
I don't write recreationally (well, not very much) but I do find it affecting my homework (just now I had to wait a moment to remember the word 'affecting' fml)

RoseEve
22-03-14, 00:15
I forget things and mix up my words all the time. I've also worried about brain tumors. But it's just something we all do especially when stressed :)

sassywatermelons
22-03-14, 00:16
Wow this website is really living up to its name. Thank you so much you guys, this is really helping my anxiety! :yahoo:

Catherine S
22-03-14, 00:25
Glad you're feeling a little more positive, sleep well :)

LunaLiuna
22-03-14, 00:26
Good to see your feeling better already :)

mbarger33
22-03-14, 02:30
Welcome, while I don't have the symptoms you do I do have a problem swallowing.. what does this have to do with you? Well I've found in my 6 months of having health anxiety that the more I think about symptoms and or expect them if you the will.. The more my mind runs rampant on it. And the more it happens.

For example I went almost a week not be able to swallow normally (I get stuck) like I totally forget how to do it. Well one day I was like hey! I don't have problems swallowing anymore.. and sure enough that night it starred up again and it's been hanging around off and on the last few days.

Best advice, put Google down and walk away, when something odd or out of the normal happens just move on like it was nothing try not to feed into thoughts and negative energy associated with it.

I know it's not that easy obviously otherwise I wouldn't be here writing this but it does help to stop future panics, if you can pin point triggers and move on.

This is a wonderful forum with good people and lots of related help.. hope you feel better soon!

Lisa.w1979
22-03-14, 09:05
hi, im a 34 yr old mum of three and i find plain old tiredness makes my iq points go down dramatically. i cant formulate sentences, forget how to spell (i spent 15 minutes 2 weeks ago trying to spell 'another' lol), and anxiety, although you may not feel tired, takes a lot of energy. when i was with my kids dad, he said i used to wake up all through the night saying my chest hurt. i dont remember doing this so of course i'd wake up exhausted everyday with no explanation to why. i have also found out that tiredness can be a trigger for anxiety so its a vicious cycle.

sassywatermelons
23-03-14, 01:13
Ugh it keeps happening >_> I mixed up "7" and "Z"
How? Don't ask me cause idk