PDA

View Full Version : children

Sootica
22-03-14, 00:25
Is it unethical to have kids these days? I really want children someday, but I feel that the planet is stretched beyond it's limits already and i'm worried that us humans will use up all the resources and will be the only species left standing in a few decades - and that wouldn't be a great thing for my kids to inherit or even thier kids - does anyone else face this dilemma also?

Fishmanpa
22-03-14, 01:36
Perhaps "unethical" is not the word for your question?

Positive thoughts

HalfJack
22-03-14, 04:30
Lots of people having lots of kids is the problem, well it doesn't help, but a few guilty individuals not having kids won't make a difference.
If you want kids go for it :)

Rennie1989
22-03-14, 11:51
What's unethical are people having lots of children when they either do not work (thus are on benefits) or rely heavily on us tax payers to pay their way. I see it a hell of a lot here and it angers me because my hard earned wage that is taxed goes to support the lazy and stupid.

Rant over. I do want children but only when my husband and I can support them ourselves.

bottleblond
22-03-14, 20:46
I'm a bit offended by this to be honest.

When I had my son, I was engaged to be married and was in full time employment. It wasn't until my son was 3 years old that things changed drastically. I went though a nasty break up with my partner, I moved out of my home and to a different part of town with my son so being a single parent with a toddler, I gave up my job to be a full time mum because he was my child and it was my duty to care for him. I then became severely agoraphobic again for the second time in my life.

None of that was my choosing, It was plainly down to circumstance and I bet there are many other single mothers and of course fathers out there that have found themselves falling on hard times through no fault of their own.

Snobbery is not a nice trait.

Lisa

Phuzella
22-03-14, 21:03
Not all unemployed are lazy or stupid :)

Fishmanpa
22-03-14, 22:07
If people waited to have children until they could support them, the human species would be scarce. We're only here for a blink of an eye and so are our children, so worrying if there will be anything left for them, while perhaps considerate, is unrealistic.

What's disconcerting are people who have children who, by all rights, shouldn't and it has nothing to do with economics. Like today for instance, I read this story (http://www.newser.com/story/184164/3-starving-abused-kids-taken-from-california-home.html). This is more of an issue than the environment or any other issue that can arise when discussing having children.

IMO....

Positive thoughts

bottleblond
22-03-14, 22:51
I was 27 when I had my one and only child. I am neither lazy or stupid.

I have had a fabulous career background and I hope do continue that when I am able.

Rennie, I do hope you never fall on hard times because it's hellish when you have to eat your own words. :)

yvonne_uk_98
22-03-14, 23:38
Rennie,

I Hope you never ever become unemployed, because if you do, you will find out what its like. its no joy at all.

nomorepanic
23-03-14, 00:11
Ok saying lazy and stupid maybe shouldn't have been used when talking about kids but I think Rennie was referring to some families with a lot of kids that are on benefits and don't work as they get more money not working because of a large family.

Rennie1989
23-03-14, 10:01
Sorry guys, I believe my comment was taken out of context.

I am talking about people who do not start out with at least a plan to support having a child i.e. a home, a parent or both in a job to support the child. I know people who fell pregnant (whether they were with the father or not) and then relied heavily on the state to support them without trying to help themselves. My heart goes out to those who either lost partners, lost jobs or what ever the circumstance was to not have the 'idyllic circumstance' and to rely on the state, as that is what it is there for, my anger is towards those who abuse the state.

FYI I have been unemployed due to sickness so I do know what it was like, albeit without a child, but I was close to that if I had not had miscarried.

bottleblond
23-03-14, 14:32
:bighug1:

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-14, 01:54
Rennie, do you mean people who intentionally have children to claim benefits? Your explanation above implies mistakes dont happen or contraception may not work so someone may believe that when I dont think you do. Somebody might take it that way, so it might be worth amending it to avoid anything further.

I agree with you on the ones abusing the system. There has always been a lot of this behaviour around my way.