PDA

View Full Version : Blood in mucous

almamatters
22-03-14, 06:52
I am not posting for a diagnoses, but I am posting because I am very anxious. I have a cough and have been bringing up a lot of green phlegm , but this morning when I woke and cleared my throat and spat it out it has bright red blood streaks. I was at the doctors yesterday but obviously did not mention the blood as it had not happened. I have just finished a course of antibiotics for another matter so doubt it could be an infection. I just wanted to post about it, it's Saturday so not much I can do about it today, apart from worry obviously. Thanks for listening.

HalfJack
22-03-14, 07:12
I recommend soup and dvds!

Ange1
22-03-14, 07:32
I've had this a few times as I seem to get a chesty cough every winter lately! I'm pretty sure it caused by the strain of coughing on the mucous membranes. It always seems to happen when you've had the cough for a while. They are delicate and like anything else can damage . It can happen when you blow your nose as well. Take it easy and look after yourself. Xxx

almamatters
22-03-14, 08:26
Thanks both for your replies, I am really scared , I have a form from the GP for a chest X - Ray but am too anxious too go now. The GP listened to my chest yesterday and said it sounded clear which confuses me. Having HA I get very anxious about symptoms and like I said it's the weekend so just need to sit it out. xx

---------- Post added at 08:26 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

I have not googled but obviously only have one illness in my mind with these symptoms, plus I have been a smoker. I am trying to distract myself today , I know it's pointless ringing NHS direct etc. I am starting to panic , I know I need to go for the chest X - Ray on Monday now.

SarahH
22-03-14, 10:12
Try think of all the other things it COULD be rather than the ONE thing it is very unlikely it will be............ the other things will be pretty harmless. Even bronchitis can make you cough up blood because the blood vessels near to the skin surface can break with constant coughing.
Your going to be fine..... can you do something to distract yourself... see a friend... go to the pictures?

sarah

RoseEve
22-03-14, 11:01
I've had this often. Sometimes the blood actually comes from your nose and goes down your throat. The nose often bleeds especially when you are ill.

almamatters
22-03-14, 13:00
Thanks Sarah and Rose for replying - I managed to distract myself for a few hours, which is good I suppose. I am seriously worried about my X -Ray though, at my last one I cried and I did not have any symptoms at that time!

SarahH
22-03-14, 13:03
When was your last X-ray? If it was quite recent and clear that should reassure you. :hugs:

mummyanxious
22-03-14, 13:04
Once I coughed up blood when I'd been vomiting. Straight to a+e as I was freaking out. Apparently it was from a burst blood vessel at the back of my throat.
Hope you're feeling better soon x

Tanner40
22-03-14, 13:07
Morning Alma. Hate to hear that you're worrying today about this. Could be something quite common but obviously, you will know more after your x-ray on Monday. Try to think positive thoughts and do something that you enjoy today.

almamatters
22-03-14, 13:09
Thanks Sarah, I had 3 chest X rays in October and Nov 2012 and a X - Ray of my collar bone and half of chest in April 2013. I would like to think that this is considered 'fairly recent' but I am not sure. x
Thanks mummy anxious, I hope it's something like this, I thought about A and E this morning but talked myself out of it. I know it's not an emergency as such. x

mummyanxious
22-03-14, 13:12
Well I was actually poorly at the time as I had gallstones and had been vomiting so I didn't go to a+e lightly. Just wanted to point that out. In fact I think it's only one of two times I've been to a+e.
Of course if it keeps happening then you can phone for advice.
Take it easy this weekend.

almamatters
22-03-14, 13:17
Morning Alma. Hate to hear that you're worrying today about this. Could be something quite common but obviously, you will know more after your x-ray on Monday. Try to think positive thoughts and do something that you enjoy today.

Thanks for replying Tanner, I hope things are ok with you? I need to take someone with me to the X - ray that is for sure. I work myself into a panic just walking through the hospital doors! x

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Well I was actually poorly at the time as I had gallstones and had been vomiting so I didn't go to a+e lightly. Just wanted to point that out. In fact I think it's only one of two times I've been to a+e.
Of course if it keeps happening then you can phone for advice.
Take it easy this weekend.

I mentioned A and E as I have been for silly things about 3 times in the past and I have come home feeling 10 times worse. My husband refuses to take me again unless it's an emergency. I would consider gallstones an emergency to be honest. x

3tikes
22-03-14, 13:26
The fact that the phlegm is green is usually indicative of a chest or bronchial infection of sorts. I suffer from time to time with chest infections and have had blood stained phlegm on any occasions, as others have said it's more likely to be a burst vessel and nothing sinister especially after having a cough for a while. Try not to panic (not easy I know!!!) and be strong and go for your chest x-ray on Monday, I'm sure it'll put your mind at rest. X

almamatters
22-03-14, 13:32
The fact that the phlegm is green is usually indicative of a chest or bronchial infection of sorts. I suffer from time to time with chest infections and have had blood stained phlegm on any occasions, as others have said it's more likely to be a burst vessel and nothing sinister especially after having a cough for a while. Try not to panic (not easy I know!!!) and be strong and go for your chest x-ray on Monday, I'm sure it'll put your mind at rest. X

Thanks so much, I know nobody here is a doctor but I am posting just to try and keep myself calm about my symptoms . x

SarahH
22-03-14, 13:35
We Know:) and that's ok.

sarah

3tikes
22-03-14, 13:48
Post away, that's what we're here for. :):)

almamatters
22-03-14, 13:50
Thanks all of you. I have managed to keep relatively calm today (with the help of my NMP buddies) and not panicking is a big achievement for me. :hugs:

mummyanxious
22-03-14, 13:51
You shouldn't have to apologise or explain yourself x

almamatters
24-03-14, 06:50
Well, I am unable to go for my X - Ray today , as it is too short notice for my husband to get the day off. I would like to go alone but I just can't bring myself to. It does not help that I have had a sleepless night coughing. My form from the GP said that I can go anytime between 9am and 4pm Mon to Fri .

almamatters
27-03-14, 07:24
I am going for my chest X - Ray today, I am very scared if I am honest. Does anyone know if I will be told straight away if there is something sinister going on? I seriously am so worried. Thanks.