PDA

View Full Version : what to do

Lisa.w1979
22-03-14, 13:45
Just say I was in the throes of a panic attack? I know its panic, I'm not looking for a medical opinion or reassurance....i want pure, unadulterated advice. What do you do when you're having a panic attack? What are your coping mechanisms? What did you do to rationalize your feelings? Not on any meds, I don't want people saying to visit my gp....i KNOW its a panic attack. I'm just looking for people to share how they get through it.

mummyanxious
22-03-14, 13:50
There's some great people over in the panic forum. Have you had a look in there?
Distractions is always a good one and trying to correct your breathing.

SarahH
22-03-14, 13:54
Mindfulness works for me...... Or if really bad I ring someone and ask them to talk to me to distract me.

Sarah

Lisa.w1979
22-03-14, 14:03
Thanks guys. Just to be clear....i'm not having a panic attack right now. Its a hypothetical situation. In the past I've just dealt with it myself. I'm curious to know how others deal with it and next time I have one, maybe try out other techniques for coping.

I myself, being a Christian I pray. It does help a lot and most times I fall asleep in a hunched position while still praying. But there are times it doesn't help. I continue pacing and sitting on the loo (I find strange comfort in the bathroom lol)

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

Is there currently an anxiety help line? I think it would be a fantastic idea. A number you could call 24/7 and just have someone talk to you. Most of my panic attacks take place at night so I can't go ringing random friends lol.

SarahH
22-03-14, 14:08
Samaritans?

mummyanxious
22-03-14, 17:42
Anxiety uk?

Lisa.w1979
22-03-14, 18:13
See this is great! I'm learning all about resources I never knew existed.

diane07
22-03-14, 22:58
Remember this, as scary as panic attacks feel, they cannot harm you, they never have and they never will, the moment you stop fearing them is the moment they no longer control you.

I am proof of the pudding.

Have you ever tried CBT?

Di xx

Catherine S
22-03-14, 23:06
First time I've noticed your prayer underneath your threads. You ask for a 24/7 anxiety helpline...god sleeps sometimes?

Lisa.w1979
22-03-14, 23:24
God never sleeps ISB, and i do pray alot when im having a panic attack, but i was wondering how others get through. Prayer is a very powerful tool.

Diane, I downloaded the cbt4panic books and i'm halfway through the 2nd one. NGL, im not looking forward to 'letting go' during my next panic attack, but i will. Whats the worse that can happen??

nomorepanic
22-03-14, 23:39
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Catherine S
22-03-14, 23:44
Yes my brother is a 'born again Christian'...a bit tired of hearing about it all from him but each to their own obviously. The thing is though, and not to get into any religious discussion or anything because there's obviously people who believe in 'him' on here and wouldn't want to upset anybody, but...has He got any advise on how to deal with all of this? I mean fair's fair..you put a lot of faith and trust in Him, its only fair that he takes away your worries. Aren't you supposed to hand them all over to him or something?

Lisa.w1979
23-03-14, 00:08
yea there are alot a psalms about fear and worry. and the main thing i do is put my trust in God to get me through it. Thats not to say i don't do anything and just expect Him to do it all. Just to give me strength etc.

Catherine S
23-03-14, 00:27
Who needs nmp when you have God on your side eh? :)

Lisa.w1979
23-03-14, 01:03
Lol. I need both.

TooMuchToLiveFor
23-03-14, 01:03
Hey Lisa,
I, too, am a follower of Christ. I think sometimes it can be particularly hard for those of us who share a strong faith to express our problems in the area of mental health and seek help and support, because as ISB is insinuating (correct me if I am wrong here, ISB) we shouldn't have these problems if we are either:
1.) walking out our faith and living in trust
or 2.) our faith is of any real substance with which to begin.

I can see how it would be hard for others who don't share our beliefs to understand, because they may mistakenly have come to the conclusion that because we claim to have a relationship with God- we won't have any troubles…., but that is not the truth of our beliefs. Even Christ, Himself, said "In this world you will have many troubles, but take heart for I have overcome the world."
It is also actually hard to deal with mental illness within our own faith communities sometimes, because even fellow Christians may feel we are just not exercising our faith and fully "casting our cares upon Him."
The real fact is- that anxiety/depression disorders are an illness- just like any other illness. Christians have cancer, heart attacks, diabetes, ……and anxiety disorders-just like everyone else.
I spend much time in prayer. I speak and meditate on verses, and these things help immensely….., but just like if I had any other disease…I also pray for wisdom and guidance to find the tools, medication, support, etc. that is available at this time and place on the earth to help me through such trials. (Biblical example: When the Israelites were rebuilding their city and were concerned about protection from outside forces- the prophet Nehemiah prayed and then built a wall. He didn't just pray. And, building the wall wasn't a sign of disbelief. It is doing what we can do, and asking God to do what we can't.)

Of all the many, many posts and threads I have seen on the plethora of ways people cope with their anxiety disorders- faith based mechanisms are the only ones that I ever see challenged, or even made fun of to a certain degree (ISB, I am NOT saying you are doing this.) But, I think we should be very careful about using what could be construed as patronizing tones when we are discussing someone else's core beliefs though- and I mean that whether they agree with my own or not.

Now, Lisa, since I took your thread as asking for ideas of coping mechanisms that others may use, and not that you were trying to "preach" at others, and certainly not looking to have to defend your faith,…..let me share the things that I have done IN ADDITION to my faith based tools:

1.) Mindfulness Breathing
2.) Progressive Muscle Relaxation
3.) Exercise
4.) Distraction
5.) Posting on NMP
6.) Aromatherapy (See the "Remedies" headings at the top left of this page.)

And- my ongoing tools that I am using as preventative measures and as vehicles to take me toward recovery (again outside of the faith based tools I use) are: medication (I am on Sertraline and have Xanax for the worst times), therapy- talk and CBT, acupuncture, exercise, mindfulness as a daily lifestyle.

I hope that helps!

Catherine S
23-03-14, 01:10
Good grief.

HoneyLove
23-03-14, 08:46
A therapist once taught me a technique called Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) to use during a panic attack, and since I learned I have always been able to cut panic off and in fact now it's been a long time since I had one!

It's a weird looking tapping technique, but it works very well. There are lots of videos on YouTube that will show you different EFT methods for free, might be worth investigating and adding it to your toolbox :)

Lisa.w1979
23-03-14, 09:44
Hi TMT.
Thank you for your words. Both regarding faith and the techniques you use during a panic attack. I have tried group setting cbt and didn't like it and have very recently downloaded the ccbt4panic books and I'm half way through the 2nd one. I tried Prozac but it made the anxiety much worse, along with a multitude of physical side effects so I only lasted 10 days on it lol.

HoneyLove,another nmp member has also recommended tapping and I checked the eft website yesterday and viewed a couple of YouTube video's. Looking like a good way of distraction during an attack and takes a bit of concentration. I'll give a more thorough look when I don't have little people looking over my shoulder and asking a billion and one questions about where Barbie is or how to make the car stick to the coffee table lol.

I know that differing beliefs are part of life and I don't tend to get het up anymore. If people want to believe they can make it through life on their own, that's fine but I NEED God :-)

HoneyLove
23-03-14, 10:03
The tapping really does seem weird Lisa, and you'll want to look at it and try it in private so your little ones aren't giving you funny looks lol! But weird as it is, it really helps. I cannot explain it, but I'm just glad that I learned it :)

Your faith and spirituality are an important part of you, and they will help you through life. So it's good that you're becoming more comfortable with it and with yourself as a result, you might find it helps you with your anxiety too. In different studies done on human beings, it's often noted that people who are happier commonly have a strong faith or spirituality that helps them through life. Is a good tool to have in your life toolbox!

Personally I was brought up catholic but that faith doesn't resonate with me anymore. But I am deeply interested in spirituality and the self development that comes with it, and it has helped me endlessly on my journey with stress and anxiety.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's ok to be you! With or without faith. Do whatever makes you happy, that's what life is all about :)

Lisa.w1979
23-03-14, 13:33
Thank you honeylove. X