PDA

View Full Version : Noob. Hello there

Gribbley
29-11-06, 10:24
Hi. Just joined and it said to say hello...

I'm 34, a new (ish) father (10 months old son) and have recently started returning to work after 8 weeks signed off with stress / anxiety. Various triggers as far as my counsellor and I have worked out:

Work: Workload, increased pressure on deadlines, lack of resources, inability of me (and management) to realise that having a new family means I cannot continue to work the long hours required to hit previously achieved targets.
Home: Suffering from IBS for the past 3-4 years, new baby, just moved house, partner forced to change jobs just as we were exchanging contracts (eep).
Personality: Type A/B. I seem to want to take responsibility for other people's problems. I find it extremely hard to say no at work when I'm already snowed under. Conflict avoidance. Assertiveness issues. Naturally prone to wanting to help other people rather than myself etc. etc.

Things came to a head in early September, just after moving house when my son and wife were both ill (nursery bugs, dontcha just love 'em?) and I hit a very low point believing that I couldn't cope with my son (but he's a little angel, so what's going to happen when he hits the terrible twos, etc etc...), work was freaking me out, anxiety attacks before (and during) every meeting, looming deadlines, not enough time etc.

So I spoke to my GP, who was fantastic. Signed me off work immediately (the HR dept at work were also fabulous - although nobody saw it coming etc etc.). After a couple of weeks spent mostly asleep whilst coming down from the adrenaline high I had been on I was still suffering from anxiety attacks at the slightest thing, so my GP put me on Citalopram and referred me to a weekly Stress Management (CBT) Workshop. I've been improving ever since.

Recently started returning to work, and taking it slowly. A slight setback over the past few weeks as my father was admitted to hospital with a large subdural haematoma (more stress, anyone?). I spent most of my time holding my mother together, but coped a lot better myself than I would have a few months ago. He's out now and OK, so stress levels reducing again.

Anyhoo, hark at me rambling on. I'll shut up now. I know I still have a way to go, but the happy tablets, counselling and CBT are helping, and as one of the best things I've found is listening and talking to folk who are or have experienced the same thing, I thought I'd join this place.

Anyone still awake?

halfwayhome
29-11-06, 10:28
Welcome! This site is incredible. You will find an amazing amount of support here, I can tell you that having only been a member for a day!

I'm glad to hear that things are more manageable for you right now and that your father is okay. It's also really good that you had so much support from work! It sounds like you definitely needed that break that you had, and I hope things continue to go well for you.. and hey, if not, you always have this site. My anxiety (which has been higher than ever before during the past couple weeks) has subsided a great deal in the twenty four hours since I joined this site.

Oh! And congratulations on your son! :)[^]

"don't worry.. be happy!
[don't worry - be happy"

xoxox
Steph

LickeyEndBlues
29-11-06, 10:36
Hey Gribbley,
Welcome to NMP...this is a great place to be and you will find heaps of support, advice and empathy.

I can relate to what you have said big time and certainly some of your triggers are very familiar to me. It sounds as if you have a very positive handle on where you are at and why...that is a very good thing.

Happy to chat etc

Take care
Iain

oh and by the way the terrible twos are a breeze compared to the truculant teens!!!!!:)

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

sgp64
29-11-06, 10:36
Ahoy there Gribbley

personality type ditto. You've joined a great place and its good to hear that you're making progress in tackling your issues. Lots of good people here and lots of support

all the best

Sean

manmoor
29-11-06, 10:37
Hi Gribbley,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Chopper
29-11-06, 10:39
Morning Mate,

Welcome aboard, I hope you find these forums as beneficial and enlightening as I do?:D

I'm also on Citalopram (40mg a day) and although the side effects are, in my case, constant and in themselves a bit of a 'downer', the tablets have been working for me - almost!:(

I feel I've been slipping since the clocks went back and am getting more aggitated by the day.

I'm still at work but finding it hard to keep going. I've not made it through a winter since 2001 without long periods of duvet time![V]

Look forward to reading your posts and wish you well.

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

Gribbley
29-11-06, 11:53
Wow. Wasn't expecting such quick responses! Hello all.

This site is indeed fab. Just having a quite browse around has shown me that a) there are a lot of people with similar symptoms/issues to me, so I'm not alone and b) loads of people who care! I hope I can be of some help/support to others as well as getting reassurance/help when I need it!

"Some days I wonder why I bother chewing through the leather straps."

Lindalou64
29-11-06, 13:08
WELCOME GRIB..............
IM SURE YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF SUPPORT AND INFO HERE I WISH YA THE BEST .......................LINDA[8D]

Stu M
29-11-06, 13:47
Hello Gribbley,

Only been here a few days myself but found it to be a great source of comfort already!!

Good to see youve got a good GP and have been helped by him/her also.

Stu

Sorry forgot to say....... WELCOME !!!!! :D

yorkylover
29-11-06, 14:52
Hi Gribbley,welcome to the forum.

Ellen XX

honeybee3939
29-11-06, 18:49
Hi Gribbley,

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here while making new friends on the way.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

kittykat
29-11-06, 20:49
Hi Gribbley,
welcome to the forum, i've not been a member for that long , but im finding it a great help being able to talk to people that are going through the same experiences as i am. I'm sure you'll find it a great source of help and support.

Good Luck
shirley x

mooks
30-11-06, 00:08
hi gribbley
good to see your getting sorted fab...its taken me years to get the right help...im told constantly that we are letting the anxiety control us...so lets hope we can all stop itxx

keepemlaughing
30-11-06, 03:18
hi gribbley, and welcome. i echo the sentiments of others here. This is a great site full of caring an supportive people. Congrats on the son and new home. Remember those are pretty big issues stress wise and you are allowed to feel a little anxious some time. Check out the chat room then you can put a personality behind the name.
Take care.
Sheryl

You don't have to be a cow to know what milk is.
Ann Landers

Sheryl

You don't have to be a cow to know what milk is.

scoobygirl2005
30-11-06, 11:39
Hi.

Welcome to the forum.

Scooby2005
x x

trac67
02-12-06, 11:19
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nomorepanic
04-12-06, 19:52
Hi there

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel