PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I'm allergic to water

Orange Lightning
23-03-14, 14:38
I'm not kidding, I'm continuing to worsen, and with no doctor appointment/tests in sight for a long time, I can't cope. On top of all my usual "LPR-like" symptoms, which include post nasal drip, burning throat, a lump in the throat, nausea and belching, I find I'm really having trouble breathing of late, both through my mouth and nose. I've been examining my activities and diet for patterns. It's not allergies or a sinus infection, in fact it's brought on by drinking water! It doesn't matter what temperature the water is, when I drink it, or whether I've had food or not. As soon as I swallow it, mucus pools in my throat and I feel it and my nose close over. I can exhale fine, but as I inhale my breathing stops short due to the tight throat. This of course leads me to hyperventilate out of necessity, and me desperately clearing my throat to unblock it.

I've tried ignoring it, but my body forces me to take a deep breath after a while, and it's accompanied by lightheaded'ness, left arm pain, ear pressure and a feeling of tiredness. And of course, drinking more water only makes it worse too, as does burping (which is on the rise by the way).

I'm really frightened. Why can't I drink water without this happening? Is there some kind of damage in my throat I'm not aware of? Sorry to sound in a flap, but I can't very well go without water..!

Fishmanpa
23-03-14, 15:04
Hi OL,

You swallow your saliva and that's 99.5% water. I would have to believe that it's impossible to be allergic to consuming it.

Hope you get the symptoms sorted soon.

Positive thoughts

Pipkin
23-03-14, 15:33
I've heard of aquagenic urticaria which is when your body reacts to water on the skin but never internally, in the way you've described. I'm not a doctor so I can't help you with your symptoms except to say that it's clear you're very anxious and all the symptoms you're describing are also anxiety symptoms. Is this a coincidence?

As long as you're convinced that there is something physically wrong with you, despite several doctors' reassurances, your body will happily oblige and provide symptoms to keep you anxious. I know, I've been there.

All I can suggest is to focus all your efforts on staying calm and finding ways to relax. Not what you want to hear though, I know.

Take care

Pip

Lilharry
23-03-14, 20:04
Try natural spring water and see if it still happens. It could be a chemical added to the water that is affecting you - chlorine or fluoride.

Round in circles
23-03-14, 20:29
Try natural spring water and see if it still happens. It could be a chemical added to the water that is affecting you - chlorine or fluoride.

Or try a water filter jug