PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever experienced this?

Kdbaby
24-03-14, 00:28
So let me start from the beginning I have had anxiety for 10 years and have een a hypochondriac for as long as I can remember. Anyways my last obsession was worrying I was going crazy or going to become crazy. Anyways one night I was laying in bed and thought I heard a bird chirp ( which there are always birds chirping outside our window) and because I had been so obsessed with going crazy I freaked out thinking I was hearing things and had the worst panic attack of my life to make matters worse everytime I woke up that night in a panic birds would really be chirping anyways since that night I have been obsessing worrying that I am going to hear birds chirp and will even hear them in my head. It only happens when I think about it though but it is freaking me out making me worried I am crazy for real. Has anyone ever became obsessed with a sound like this or had an experience like this before? Please help me to feel a little better.

Catherine S
24-03-14, 00:35
OK, is your point that you don't like to hear birds chirping at all? Do you have a bird phobia?

Kdbaby
24-03-14, 00:37
I never minded hearing them until the other night when I had a panic attack, the thing that worries me is that I hear the sound in my head sometimes when I think about it. I've just never experienced this before.

Catherine S
24-03-14, 00:40
It sounds like a suggestive thing, almost like you've programmed yourself to hear it. Do you suffer with OCD at all?

Kdbaby
24-03-14, 00:44
I suffer from obsessive thoughts, yes.

Catherine S
24-03-14, 00:48
Unfortunately, although I'm an anxiety sufferer I don't have experience of OCD and how it can affect your life in this way...sorry. But there is lots of advice here about this. I do hope you find the right answers for yourself. Take care yes?

Kdbaby
24-03-14, 00:50
Thank you for your responses. It did help me to feel a little better, I thought deep down that it was probably from OCD, just another obsession. Take care

MyNameIsTerry
24-03-14, 01:28
OCD can be over so many things. Its not always OCD, it can be O, C or O&C if you get my meaning.

Its a misconception that OCD leads to rituals as it could just be the O part.

Something I remember reading said that you aren't going insane because you wouldn't recognise it to be abnormal.

You are not going insane, but you feel like you are not in control of yourself and it can be quite frightening.

A common obsession is the need to hear everything so you feel it sinks in. For instance, asking others to repeat themselves.

You perhaps need to turn off your response to it or prevent your mind making you think you heard it. Its hard and takes time. Try relaxation techniques and Mindfulness meditation. The latter helps you remove your focus of unhelpful thoughts and control them more but it takes time to learn to get the full benefit.