PDA

View Full Version : Online school because of anxiety?

Eggplant345
24-03-14, 15:41
I'm currently a junior in high school becoming a senior next year. I have been dealing with anxiety for almost a year now and it hasn't gotten worse until now. I can't control it and I feel like ripping out my hair straight off the root every second. I feel like everytime someone laughs they are laughing about me, everytime someone whispers to their friend they are talking about me. Everytime someone says "her" or "she" I feel they are talking about me. I try to block out their voices but it's not as easy as people say it is. So that is why I was thinking about online schooling for my senior year. I would feel more comfortable with myself. Does anyone on here think it's a good idea? I would like opinions from others. Thank you.

Annie0904
24-03-14, 15:45
You would be hiding away from the problems instead of facing them. Have you had any CBT as I think this is something that may help you to cope with these thoughts and help to build your self esteem. :hugs:

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

This may be helpful to you http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=47

Oosh
24-03-14, 16:27
I can completely understand why you'd want to do that. I can relate to how you feel.
Hyper vigilance.
Insecure.
And...
Avoidant

Avoidant is what I've done a lot of in my life. And I still will !
But thing is some things need facing and when you avoid them they just hang there over you everyday until it's faced. That can be torture. It's like the anxiety of an interview everyday but the interview never comes.

Some things are ok to avoid, parties, events you just don't enjoy. It's not the end of the world.
But some things need to be faced, like learning places and work places.
Sooner or later you'll have to face them and deal with how you feel.

It will be easier for you to STAY involved and learn coping skills than it will be to drop out, avoid it and, after a long period, inevitably have to face these situations and feelings again.

You could always plan a future career where you worked alone or in settings with much fewer people. But getting those jobs normally means having taken part in a few more years of education and being around other people.

You can get that education online but some employers want you to have attended a college etc and to have had hands on experience and experience studying/working around other people.

If you really want away from these environments, learn something and plan to go into business for and by yourself. I wouldn't blame you. There'll still be people contact though and the need to develop those coping skills.

Who cares what those idiots are talking about anyway. They've got brains like little peas rattling around in their heads and no doubt talking about you because you're great. Be secure in yourself. Have value for yourself. It only matters what they think because you're feeling a bit insecure in yourself.

Fix that now by developing as a person and you won't have this hanging over you anymore.

LunaLiuna
24-03-14, 16:42
Hello Eggplant, I actually attend an online college at the moment whilst me and my psychiatrist treat my anxiety, which by the way, started off EXACTLY the same as yours is. I would run home from school everyday.

Overall I think I was forced into not going into school, but in truth not going into school has been really good for me personally as I got to know myself rather than the thing I was in school, which wasn't really me but a copy of everyone else, but yeah.

It doesn't matter what you do, but remember not to run away from the problem, think about it critically, think about what is best for you overall. Not what is best for your anxiety and the person you are at the moment :)

Good luck!

Rennie1989
24-03-14, 17:16
Avoiding school will only encourage you to avoid other things in the future. I was bullied at school and despite wanting to leave I stuck to it and I think that was the best thing to do. It's taught me to persevere when the going gets tough because 1) it doesn't last forever 2) you feel better having got through the other end.

Finish school, you'll regret it otherwise.