PDA

View Full Version : Not getting the help I'm asking for

Helen123
24-03-14, 20:00
Hi guys,

I need a bit of advise here.. I was recovering from my anxiety really well untill the end of last year. With Christmas getting closer I anxiety started to grow again. I went to the doctor to ask if I could be referred back to the psychologist I used to see, I had gradually stopped seeing her about a year and a half earlier because I was getting on really well.
So I was told I should hear from someone soon. So after a very difficult Christmas I still hadn't heard anything. I went back in January, asking to see a female doctor but she was useless, she told me the referral had been sent so I just had to keep waiting..
So a few weeks ago I had a really down day and I took it in to my own hands to find out what was going on, after been transferred about 5 times, I finally spoke to the psychologists secretary by this time I was crying down the phone. The secretary was really nice and told me that unfortunately they hadn't even received my referral and that with out it they cannot see me, she advised me to go see the doctor again.
So back to the doctor I went! It's been about 2 weeks and still I haven't heard..
I feel so helpless. What else can I do? I'm asking for help and not getting it, do they want me to beg because I'm getting close.

Oosh
24-03-14, 20:22
Tell them you're very low and can't wait a long time to talk things through so want a cpn to visit you. Say you're down and very isolated at the moment.
They'll probably have someone visit within weeks.

Helen123
24-03-14, 20:52
I said that the first time :( and the doctor just started talking about medication but I don't want yo go down that road yet.

MrAndy
24-03-14, 20:57
Do a self do referral online to rethink.org

Helen123
24-03-14, 21:03
Thanks MrAndy just had a look on their website, they look very helpful. However 1 issue, I live in Scotland and they seem to only cover England. Thanks though.

MrAndy
24-03-14, 21:17
Do you have mind in Scotland they are worth contacting if you do

Helen123
24-03-14, 22:38
I think mind are England too by the looks of it :( but I'm away to look and see if there's anything similar in Scotland.

MyNameIsTerry
25-03-14, 06:09
This happened to me. It took 3 visits to get a referral into a 30 day service. It was never explained but I know my GP's surgery will hide their inefficiences as they are well known for blaming other services, even not apologising when they get caught out.

Here is what the CAB day for Scotland.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/healthcare_s/faq_index_health_scotland/faq_health_complaints_about_doctors_scotland.htm

I would contact them now and tell them about all the waiting and referrals not happening and ask them how do you complain. Sometimes being assertive can work and sometimes poor service providers in many industries respond to complaints just not the poor standards up to them (stupid I know, but it is often the ostrich mindset)

Ryan92
25-03-14, 23:46
Hi Helen, I know how you feel :) When I first had CBT I was waiting for months and they said the same old excuses like we lost your referral, then I had to wait even longer for them to refer me again. This happened to me again last year too :doh: good old nhs :doh: :wacko:

Im currently on a waiting list for some kind of therapy in May. I've not had a therapy session etc in over 2 months.

My last therapist in January said counselling may help me but she could not refer me, I have to wait until April then phone and refer myself and then go through the long waiting list process :weep:

I sometimes say to my family how can I get better if I have these long gaps inbetween therapy, I know Im supposed to try and do what Ive been taught by my previous therapists but it feels really difficult when you've got no one to talk to about it who fully understands.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-14, 06:11
Hi Helen, I know how you feel :) When I first had CBT I was waiting for months and they said the same old excuses like we lost your referral, then I had to wait even longer for them to refer me again. This happened to me again last year too :doh: good old nhs :doh: :wacko:

Im currently on a waiting list for some kind of therapy in May. I've not had a therapy session etc in over 2 months.

My last therapist in January said counselling may help me but she could not refer me, I have to wait until April then phone and refer myself and then go through the long waiting list process :weep:

I sometimes say to my family how can I get better if I have these long gaps inbetween therapy, I know Im supposed to try and do what Ive been taught by my previous therapists but it feels really difficult when you've got no one to talk to about it who fully understands.

Yes, the NHS is really creating more difficult cases for itself by not getting to people quickly. Anxiety & depression embed themselves and make it harder to treat.

I find there is a lot of bureacracy in these areas, as I experienced, with who can refer who and when. It's just like moving unemployed people between lists so I wonder whether it's a statistics thing as well as funding.