PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur

PokerFace
24-03-14, 21:23
I went to the doctors couple of weeks ago after a particularly nasty palpitation and it turns out I have a heart murmur!

She seemed a bit concerned because she could hear it in so many different places and positions so booked me in for an ECG and blood tests, all of which came back fine but murmur was still there so she's referred me to the hospital for an Echo.

I've had heart paranoia for a good 4 or so years so I think I've taken this quite badly, not as bad as I would have 3 years ago but I feel pretty shaken and anxious.

So! I should be able to make an appointment this Wednesday but have no idea when for so the suspense is getting a little hard to handle haha. I just needed a place to vent, maybe a few words of encouragement to hang on in there!!

Thanks for reading if you did :) x

Frankie123
24-03-14, 22:11
A similar thing happened to me. Went to doctor with bad chest and cold. Heard heart murmur so was sent for echo. Turns out it is a faulty valve which one day will need to be replaced but it is not a death sentence so try not to worry. Also many heart murmurs are completely innocent and if you are young, not sure how old you are, this is most likely the outcome especially if you have no symptoms like shortness of breath. Best of wishes

RoseEve
24-03-14, 22:12
I have a heart murmur. It has never affected me.

PokerFace
24-03-14, 22:16
Thanks guys :)

Yea the doctor said it could be something I've always had because I'm 24, just was a bit shocked no one else ever picked it up because she found it straight away! She said because she could hear it in so many different positions etc, it could be a valve problem but she said let's try not to speculate so I'm trying.

Probably over reacting, just my hearts always been the main focus of my anxiety so I'm finding it a bit hard to control right now.

Thanks for the replies!

RoseEve
24-03-14, 22:55
Poker face it love that song in your signature!

mummyanxious
24-03-14, 23:06
I'm intrigued. This was picked up by listening to your chest? Which add unwisely GPS have done before? How was this not picked up before?
Hope it all works out ok for you, keep us updated x

PokerFace
24-03-14, 23:13
Yea me too Rose, that song get's me feeling better when I feel anxious! :)

Yep mummyanxious, was all picked up as soon as the stethoscope touched my skin! I'd only been doctors a couple of times before but as my palps had come back a bit too viciously for my liking I decided to head back to the doctors for the first time in a couple of years.

Maybe if I did have it all my life, the previous GPs actually did pick it up but presumed I knew about it or didn't think it was important to tell me rather than missing it completely? I don't know. I did feel a bit let down by the previous doctors but I just don't know if they did miss it or if it's a new thing brought on by a valve problem.

I'll find out soon enough hopefully! I'll keep you updated, thankyou :) x

lizzie29
25-03-14, 21:52
I found out I had a heart murmur when I was about 21. I'd been to the docs before and it wasn't picked up, then I went with a bad throat and they heard it. I had an ECG and a heart scan, but they said it was fine and didn't do anything further. I wouldn't know I have it. It's really common.

PokerFace
25-03-14, 22:20
Thanks lizzie, got myself in a bit of a tizz today thinking all sorts of crazy stuff about my heart and what they might find, or if I'll even make it to the scan (probably silly of me) so that's been comforting to read. It's brought a bit of reality back to me for now :)

Never been good with anticipation me!

roxy90
26-03-14, 09:03
My 1 year old had a heart mumur picked up when she was 9months old. They weren't bothered in the slightest! Couldn't even find it again.

They said most murmurs are benign and harmless. Fingera crossed for you x

Earthmum
26-03-14, 13:52
I know how you feel I'm 37 and my doctor heard it 5 years ago sent me off to the hospital did the tests and they said no murmur!
So it could be nothing at all, ....as Roxy90 mentioned most ARE harmless or benign good luck!

PokerFace
26-03-14, 15:13
Thanks guys it really helps to read this stuff :)

Should be able to ring up today and make my appointment, hope it's not too far away, tired of wrestling with my anxious doom-mongering brain lol!

mummyanxious
26-03-14, 15:25
Hope you get your app soon as I think the waiting makes everything worse. The anticipation x

swgrl09
26-03-14, 17:50
I'm 25 years old. I found out I had a heart murmur at a random doctor's appointment about 3 years ago now. It was just picked up and nobody had noticed it before. Doctor wasn't concerned and never affected me. Just recently my doctor told me she doesn't hear it anymore.

Sometimes stress, a virus/cold, etc can cause it to happen. Sometimes there is no real reason and they don't cause any problems.

PokerFace
26-03-14, 17:57
They said to ring back Friday so hopefully I get to make one then, only couple of days away til I know when appointment is.

Thanks swgrl, that post helped a lot! You're all really helping calm me down from this :)

saab
26-03-14, 23:20
A really common heart 'murmour' is mitral valve prolapse. Usually people have no symptoms and it requires no treatment. If people have leaky valves that cause problems an op can repair or replace them. Cardiac tests are very sensitive and can pick up lots of things that are varients but within normal limits. It may be termed a 'murmour' but it may well be benign and of no clinical significance. Hope you feel better soon.

fruity
27-03-14, 10:48
yes very common. my daughter who was i think 4 yrs old at the time she,s almost 8yrs old now. had one she went to the hospital to be checked & they said it,s an innocent one. she went back to docs to be checked because she had nasty cold and he said it was gone. but in the first place that,s how they picked it up because she went to doctors over a cough & cold. but i do get scared if my sons got one but they,ve never found anything whilst they,ve checked him if he,s gone for a check up.

PokerFace
27-03-14, 11:19
Thanks saab and fruity.

Don't worry fruity, my sister had a murmur as a baby and it vanished by the time she was in year 6, I didn't have one as a baby and they found one at 24. From what I can gather from the experiences and information on this thread, if you do have one, it's bound to be picked up eventually but is usually harmless, especially in children and young adults and it's usually investigated further just to be sure! :)

nigela
01-03-19, 09:27
Hi did you have breathlessness with yours?
Thanks

lofwyr
01-03-19, 18:27
I have had a heart murmur that comes and goes since I was an infant. At age 47 they finally diagnosed a bicuspid aortic valve which will need to be replaced at some point. Not worried, not a death sentence, and nice to know what is going on.

Many murmurs are nothing, and you are doing the right thing getting it checked, better to know and be done with it. By the way, even if it is a heart valve issue, they are so much more easily dealt with these days. Good luck!