PDA

View Full Version : Endoscopy on Friday :(

claireypoo
25-03-14, 08:01
I have an endoscopy on Friday because I have gastritis that isn't clearing up, and I am driving myself madder worrying whether to have throat spray or sedation (or neither one). Arghhhh! I had my stomach pumped from an overdose when I was 17 and I remember nurses holding me down and shoving a 'hosepipe' into my throat and me gagging and gagging for what felt like hours. Bizarrely, remembering that gives me some comfort, because I got through it. I don't want to feel 'bad trippy' or panicky from not being in control but I'm scared I won't be able to go through with the scope if I don't have sedation. I am also terrified as to what they will find and want to be alert to find out. I don't know what to do!
Claire
X

Jakeutler
26-03-14, 00:18
i had an endoscopy a while back when i was having bad anxiety and panic attacks pretty regularly and went with sedation. Really though it was never much of a choice for me because I absolutely hate having any kinds of tests where I have something shoved down my throat. The sedation though never really left me trippy or anything if that's what you're worried about. In fact, it was one of the least anxious days I've had with all this going on because I barely remember the entire day afterward the procedure. Anyway, long story short, the sedation method worked great for me but I guess it's all personal preference. I hope everything goes ok for you though. Good luck :)

Superworrier
26-03-14, 00:45
Hey Hun I had this carried out last year and it's not as bad as you think it will be. I didn't have sedation because I wanted to be alert and I have other medical conditions but that said the person doing it was amazing. Do not hold back when telling them your fears it's best if they know how scared you are. I promise it's very quick but yes if you have a choice go for sedation they will not let anything bad happen Hun xxx

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-14, 06:52
Tell them and they will understand.

Is it possible to opt for sedation on the day if it's just too much?

Don't consider it to be like last time, you would have been all over the place then, you have control this time...you just need to keep it.

All the best.

Spot-the-frog
26-03-14, 10:23
I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy one after the other and had sedation. I was absolutely fine, no problem with either procedure. Afterwards, if you have had sedation they take you back to a ward and get your a drink and biscuit and after about 20-30 minutes I got dressed. It was then that they gave me a brief description of what they found, and I was definitely fully alert and normal. You will have to see your consultant for a more detailed diagnosis anyway. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Jacsta
26-03-14, 11:24
Id say go for sedation, they can give you throat spray as well. I've worked in an endoscopy unit and the process runs better for you if you are relaxed. The gastroscopy itself is normally over and done with within 10mins and that 10mins goes by quicker when feeling chilled

SarahH
26-03-14, 12:55
Sedation!!!! Really I had one a couple of years ago without sedation and it really was horrific (sorry I don't want to scare you) Afterwards I spoke to 3 people who told me that with sedation you don't remember a thing.

Good luck

sarah

claireypoo
26-03-14, 20:47
Thank you so much, all of you. I am so scared, also of what they might find. What does the sedation feel like? I've never been sedated before.

You have all made me feel so much better xxxx

almamatters
26-03-14, 20:51
I had the endoscopy without sedation, as I wanted to get out of the hospital asap after having the procedure. If I had to do it again though, I would go for the sedation. Hope it goes well for you, sure you will be fine.

Jacsta
26-03-14, 20:52
You just feel relaxed, like tipsy

mike_coventry_uk
02-04-14, 20:48
I had an endoscopy 4 weeks ago and to put it into context I'd rather have that again than visit the dentist! It really is not that bad! I didn't have the sedation just the spray, I like to be in control of myself and I wanted to go home after straight away!

Do not worry,the key is keeping calm and relaxed! You will gag on initial impact with the back of the throat but if u breath deeply and think of something nice to take your mind off it it is easy!

Don't work yourself up! The worse part of this is the wait and the anticipation! I would guess the people who experience the worse endoscopy are the ones who let their anxiety take over!

If you want any calming advice and honest answers drop me a message i would be happy to put your mind at ease!

Mike