PDA

View Full Version : Finally asking to be referred

DaisyP
25-03-14, 13:16
Hi everyone,

Further to my post last week entitled 'MS Worries', I have called my Dr and am waiting for a call back and I am going to ask to be referred to a Neurologist. I don't want them to think I am crazy - although I am starting to think I am but I want to get to the bottom of what is causing my numbness and pins and needles. I hope I can be referred through the NHS but I have private healthcare if needed (although it has a steep excess fee so fingers crossed I won't have to).

I am so fed up and it's impacting on my day to day life and I don't think I can relax until I have an idea of what it is - or if the neurologist does indeed want to rule out MS. I don't 100% believe it is MS so there is still some rational side of me somewhere in there but neither do I believe it's 100% not MS.

I know it's going to scare me to see a neurologist but I can't go on feeling like this. It's taking over my life a little bit :(

Don't know why I've posted this but felt that it would be nice to talk to someone in a similar position. I think my friends and family are fed up of listening to me so I don't bother saying anything anymore so feel like I am just suffering in silence a bit and I am going to implode - I don't mean that in a pity me way but just because I don't want to sound like a moan to people anymore :(

If this is anxiety, it has a lot to answer for! But the physical symptoms are definitely there :wacko:

mbarger33
25-03-14, 14:06
I know that these are symptoms of anxiety as I have had them once before during my "Official kick off panic attack party"

My mom has MS for the last 17 years, the doctors think here's was triggered by serve stress and anxiety from my dad and grandmother passing within 2 months of each other. She was diagnosed with a year later.

I've often thought I might have it but my doctor tells me that it's very very rare for it to be genetically passed as it's an auto immune disease that is triggered some how. I know a great deal of friends that also have it. Well family friends I mean that are my mom's. Most all of them live normal lives without MS impacting them.

is it just the pins and needles? What made you think it was MS and not just normal run of the mill anxiety stuff?

3tikes
25-03-14, 14:52
When you're in the midst of a belief that you have something specific wrong with you it's hard to see it rationally, and I fall into this trap at times. It's like having a good guy on one shoulder telling me I'm fine and it's just HA playing tricks on me and having a bad guy on the other shoulder telling me to race to the doc and get it sorted as something is badly wrong.

Although I can't medically diagnose, I too have been experiencing pins and needles in my hands, fingers and my left foot for a couple of weeks now. This coupled with high blood pressure and a random nose bleed yesterday had me believing I have a heart problem.

Actually I have my rational head back on today after having a bad day yesterday and I can reason with myself that it's unlikely to be heart disease but they are in fact very real symptoms of anxiety. These are symptoms that I haven't experienced before and I've been suffering with HA on and off for 7 years. (80% of those 7 years I've been fine)

Can you ride it out for a little bit? I say this as you mentioned your private healthcare insurance is hefty and no doubt would be a drain on anyone's pocket, or as you say pop back to the doctor and express your concerns and ask him for his honest opinion.

I'm not being judgemental as it's horrible when you're feeling like nobody is listening. Let us know what you decide and how you get on. X

DaisyP
26-03-14, 10:22
Thanks for the replies.

MBarger33 - it's more the numbness which is worrying me. I keep getting numb toes, face and a numb earlobe. I think if I didn't have the numbness I wouldn't be as worried.

3tikes - I really really want to give it a while longer to see if I can ride it out but it's been 8 weeks of this now & I kind of just want to get to the bottom of what is causing it.

I am still waiting for my Dr to call me back so I will ask their opinion and see what they think.