PDA

View Full Version : Stressing about blood test results..

kelly12
25-03-14, 17:43
Hi everyone,

I went to the doctors last week because I have been feeling light headed. He sent me down to the hospital for a full blood count and other tests. I went to have them done yesterday morning and today I had them back. I went to the doctors and the receptionist brought them up and said that my white and red blood cells were a bit over the normal. She showed me what they should be and told me what mine were and said I have to have them done again in a month. She said that it wasn't a cause for concern because the doctor would have asked me back to see him but instead he has just commented that I should have them done again in a month. Everything else was normal but I'm worrying something might be wrong and I cant see the doctor this week they are fully booked so I cant discuss my results. Am i worrying for nothing?:weep:

RoseEve
25-03-14, 17:50
If you have a cold or a virus it can raise the blood cells. Anything can. Even dental issues. Everyone has raised white blood cells sometimes. Its how our bodies protect us. You don't need to feel sick either, your body kills germs often before you are sick. Think about how many germs you come in contact with yet you only get sick once and a while. I think your body is doing its job and your doctor is just being careful. I know its hard waiting. Hugs:hugs:

eevee
25-03-14, 18:17
Your doctor is just trying to be cautious. And from what I've read, no blood test is 100% accurate. Even the way the nurse takes your blood can affect the results, if I'm not mistaken.

It's normal to worry. I have to take another blood test in a couple of weeks cos my alt is elevated :S i'm worried, and couldn't stop googling about elevated alt when I just had my dr apt. but now I think I'll just try to worry about it maybe 5-7 days before the day, lol.

kelly12
25-03-14, 18:40
I'm thinking it could be that I had a drink the night before my bloods were taken...that might have affected them......its just worrying me because when I had them taken a year before they all came back normal...:shrug:

anthrokid
28-03-14, 22:23
As RoseEe mentioned, any recent infection, no matter how small, can elevate levels of your blood cells. You may have had a slight cold or virus that you didn't know about which caused the elevation. It doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about - if it was seriously elevated your doctor would have insisted on seeing you to discuss the results in person.

I know sometimes it is really hard not to worry, expecially when we are told of little abnormalities and that we need to have more tests in the future. But please try to remember that anything can cause an elevation, and it's more likely than not that your results on the next text will be back to normal.

Masqued
30-03-14, 10:48
Above Normal can refer to just outside the margin. If anything was really wrong he would have ordered more tests or called you in to see him.
our bodies are always fighting and recovering even when we dont know it.

hanshan
30-03-14, 10:53
Slightly over or under in blood tests is not a cause for concern. Several times the upper or lower limit of normal is.