PDA

View Full Version : Okay can I panic now??

eevee
25-03-14, 18:11
Like it's not bad enough that I have HA, I was just waking up from a nap, then found a book laying next to me. My mom's. OF COURSE it has to be a book about "accepting deaths" or something. Like when you have some terminal disease.

Seriously????

Am trying hard not to take this as a sign of somekind.

Have you ever been in a similar situation? Usually when I have a scare, example, skin cancer scare, I'll suddenly see things about it everywhere. On the magazine, on a medical TV show etc etc.

:lac:

Lisa.w1979
25-03-14, 18:30
Its like when you're pregnant and you see pregnant women and babies EVERYWHERE!! Its because its on the forefront of your thoughts. I don't think its the universe trying to tell you something :hugs:

PokerFace
25-03-14, 18:54
I once convinced myself the number 5 was trying to tell me I had HIV. Sure enough I saw it everywhere, even if HIV was used in a sentence it would always be the 5th word, I would see loads of other random connections to 5 and HIV too, too many to list lol.

Sure enough I finally got tested after 3 years and I don't have HIV. These signs seem so real in our minds but they really aren't signs at all. Just like Lisa said it's because you're subconsciously on the lookout for these "signs".

Hope you feel better soon! :)

RoseEve
25-03-14, 19:02
Yes once someone gave me a medal and a prayer for st. Gerard when I was pregnant. I kept it in my purse and one day before I was supposed to travel by plane I lost it. I thought it meant something terrible was going to happen but it didn't.

eevee
25-03-14, 20:19
It's just difficult not to jump into the worst case scenario when I've made it a habit. Nope, worse than that - a lifestyle!

I don't even know why mom has a book like that. A depressing read :(

anthrokid
28-03-14, 22:27
I know it's sometimes hard to ignore that automatic negative thought, but remember, for every thought we do have automatically, there are 1000 others that we are not considering. Does your mum know about your anxiety? Perhaps she has been reading it to try and find a way to help you out with health anxiety and fears of death. Perhaps she has a friend who has passed recently and she is coming to terms with that acceptance. Perhaps she is just a bit anxious about death, as many people are. If you are really concerned, the best way to find out and ease your anxiety is to ask her.

anxious_thoughts
29-03-14, 01:15
Haha! I go through these things a lot where I think things are signs. My therapist tells me to stop being a prophet :P

Either way, last week I was so worried about having a heart attack and then my aunts father just passed away from one a couple of days ago. So you can bet I was terrified. But I need to realize that he always had heart problems, he smokedike a chimney, and he was 70 years old.

eevee
31-03-14, 19:23
Okay, if some of you have been following my other thread, I'm terrified of the upcoming abnominal ultrasound.

Today, while I was drying my hair I randomly looked at an old stack of casettes and it said MRI at the side. Go figure, I froze and immediately thought the worst. Still, I tried to wave it off. Then when I was on my way out I saw a car with an MRI plate number!!!

Now I'm so convinced they're gonna find something in the ultrasound that I should get MRI.

RoseEve
31-03-14, 23:04
This is what is referred to as "magical" thinking. It's common with anxiety suffers. We think we can make things happen just by thinking about it.

eevee
01-04-14, 04:01
Thanks, I really hope that's all it is and nothing more :shrug: I mean once, okay, but twice in a day? Ugh.