PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and headache question

LF87
25-03-14, 19:46
Hi guys.

For the past month or so I've been training and exercising. I do a combination of cardio and weight training and havent had a problem so far, (apart from worrying about my heart sometimes). My question is, and this is just me wondering if anyone knows or can relate, if it's ok to have a bit of a headache after? It's never happened before, but I had a few stabbing headaches after my shower. I stupidly googled and it mentioned stuff about headaches during/after exercise could be signs of something underlying.
My rational mind is thinking I would have the headaches everytime I trained, if there was something wrong. But it's just been the once and I'm getting panicked.
Has anyone had this or know anything about it?

Thanks x

LunaLiuna
25-03-14, 20:35
Muscle problems like tension, exhaustion etc account for something like 90% of all headaches so I think you could bet it's something to do with that :)

Lisa.w1979
25-03-14, 20:37
Or it could just be what it is...a headache. xx

sunshinevet
25-03-14, 20:44
could be lack of water intake, it is important with any exercise to drink more water. Your body may be telling you that you are dehydrated. Drink water before, during and after. Hope that helps.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-14, 05:20
Yes, it could just be a headache. You will lose water as you exercise and it's easy to get dehydrated that way.

It could even be the shower. I tend to feel a bit achey after showers and baths...it's part of the relaxation of it sometimes. Being dehydrated and having a shower could probably also make you feel a bit more tired.

You could have been tensing muscles near to areas that could cause headaches.

You could even have had a nerve that causes headaches and that can be brought on by exercise. In that case, think of it as a sprain really because they just go on there own...like when you feel like you trap something in a between ribs.

If it's persistent, perhaps see a doctor. If not, perhaps your HA is causing you nto overthink it.

Do you get aches from weight training? I'm betting you do but you don't associate them with anything as you expect them. My anxiety makes me concentrate on these even though I know what they are...it's just the weird beast that it is.

LF87
26-03-14, 11:21
Thanks for these replies. I didn't drink a lot of water so it's maybe got something to do with it.
Yeah terry, I often get aches the day after weight training, or during if I've not warmed up enough.
I only worry if it's in one particular area. This is because a while ago I had a headache on one particular spot and decided it was a tumour or aneurysm. My doctor said it wasn't but I still panic if I get a headache around there, which is where it was last night.
I'm going to the gym again shortly, so if it happens again I'll think about a doctor trip. But it's never happened before so can't call it persistent.
If I am back here posting again it's cos I got another headache... Hope not though! X

swgrl09
26-03-14, 17:53
I started working out a few months ago and if I don't drink enough water before, during, and after I feel almost hungover ... headache, tired, etc.

NotCool
26-03-14, 18:35
Yep, the most probable explanation is lack of water. You mentioned doing cardio exercises - does it involve running? Because many people strain their neck/back muscles too much by not "swinging" their hands correctly, and those muscles are connected to the head ones, thus it could be a connection.

MyNameIsTerry
27-03-14, 05:48
Sounds like it was nothing then.

Just to add to Not Cool's post, incorrect technique can cause damage to other muscles that can cause aches & pains as you probably well know by now.

Also, if you going very heavy you could be straining a great deal which could cause headaches. Ever see the strongmen with the nosebleeds? Working to 1 rep MAX could possibly account for it.