PDA

View Full Version : Is this a panic attack or not

Alen
26-03-14, 05:45
:)

Following on from my thread before, I now find myself wondering just exacty am I suffering from?

My "symptoms" seema little different to those described for PA's.

I will try to explain.

I get a feeling thats all, my body is tense and I find it hard to focus on things like watching the tv or sitting still I have to force myself to both. I also pace around like I am unable to stand still. Then sometinme later I can do both things. Yesterday I felt like this all day. Talking and walking brings relief but - -a distraction that works as I see it.I feel ovnercharged, like I want to run.,

I never did take Diazapam prescribed to me, I cannot allow myself to get on to such a bad drug. Sure it may well work to stop gap but its just adding to the problem? I have taken 40mg Propranolol but didnt seem to do much. Day before I had no episodes and slept for 61/2 hours almost all through, one toilet break.Last night had to swop to a chair to grab 3 hours, stayed in bed for 4 but unable to sleep. I had one 20 sec intense shake with chilling feeling about 2am.

What do you think?

Phuzella
26-03-14, 05:52
Do you get any exercise during the day?

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-14, 06:01
I guess what you have to ask yourself is:

1) Does it develop into something intense that you cannot contol, do you feel like you will die, etc? It is short & intense (not considering the resideual effects afterwards)

2) Is it just a constant hour after hour thing but it never fully develops into panic.

So, 1) would be panic disorder and 2) would be an anxiety disorder. But it's not quite that simple because you can be suffering from more than one so see symptoms from each, even at different times.

For a diagnosis though and medication you really need to speak to your doctor. The above is just a very basic difference. You will see more complex differences on the many websites around by the medical community but don't get too drawn into them, and I wouldn't advise it if you suspect you have HA. From there they can be allsorts of PA or AD's or multiple ones.

Alen
26-03-14, 06:27
Thanks Terry

more no 2 than 1, not really panic as such just a real worn down and excitable feeling.
Never thought I was going to die. I am going to fight this on my own, I am abroad not UK and facilities here are not good. I fully realise that these events are being created by me, all my medical checks are fine. I will use STOP CBT and excercise in daytime, also get on with the breathing technique.

MyNameIsTerry
26-03-14, 06:34
Try Mindfulness meditation as well. It can really help but it will take time to feel the full benefit. It can help you relax, break up thoughts and help you to understand that sensations are just sensations.

No 2 is me, GAD. It's never ending, but it does get better as time goes by as you work on it. Expect ups & downs though and try to approach them as best as you can.

Your description is symptom based so it would be worth exploring why this is happening so you can work on any triggers.

Alen
26-03-14, 06:37
Plenty of walking through the day Phuz but I am sure your suggesting something more intense?

---------- Post added at 06:37 ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 ----------

OK Terry thank you

Phuzella
26-03-14, 07:39
Exercise would get rid of the adrenaline that builds up, but don't go too mad lol.
I totally agree with Terry about mindfulness, it's pretty hard to settle into at first, but when you do, it's very beneficial.
I had the exact same symptoms you describe many years ago when I had my first experience of anxiety, I can assure you it is possible to recover:)

wabbit1
26-03-14, 22:07
I can totally relate to those feelings. I have had the occasional fully blown panic attack but when I am wound up I can't relax. I pace, twitch, cannot concentrate on anything - even a conversation is impossible for me as I can't concentrate on what the person is saying to me.

The majority of the time it doesn't get any worse than that but if something unexpected happens - as simple as someone coming to the door that I wasn't expecting - it can develop into a full blown panic attack.

I think it is a warning sign for me and I do run so if I am able to I will go for a run. It helps a lot as when I get back I am much more relaxed.