PDA

View Full Version : Prozac / Fluoxetine questions

Purdybird
28-07-04, 09:06
Hi all

I had a quite a few jittery days recently, which seem to be happening a lot more at the present.

I really thought I was getting some where, but I have now started to doubt myself. It's such hard work trying to stay calm and rational all the time , I really don't think I've got the strength to do it by myself.

Hence, my questions in relation to prozac/ fluoxetine. My GP initially prescribed this when it all started in April. I couldn't bring myself to swallow the pills though and only took one. I'm going back to my GP this morning for her to reassess me and may consider taking them.

Has anybody had success with Prozac ?( please only positive stories or I may back out again ).

Will I be plagued by side effects - has anybody else had side effects? ( please consider my situation before posting any dreadful stories )

Will I suddenly become the most happy go luck person or will they just take the edge of things?

I have particular problems with worrying about my health will prozac help with this?

Basically I would like to obtain an idea of what to expect for other peoples experiences. I know you cannot go by these alone as everyone is different. It will just help me feel beter.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Purdy x

prawny
28-07-04, 12:09
hi
i have been in the exact situation today. i didnt want to take meds and worry about my health constantly. i visited my gp on monday a refused meds but went this morning after deciding i need extra help and have been prescribed effexor. i have the same fears but will be taking them as i cannot cope with the anxiety any more.

try to focus on the positive asspects of taking meds, i am!

dawn x

snowman
28-07-04, 12:11
Hi Purdy

I think anyone on this forum would agree if they didn't have to take any medication I think 99% would say there must be another way. What people fail to realise is that panic/ anxiety/ depression is an illness. It's just that society makes us feel it is hard to discuss openly. You may suffer side effects initially but you've got to remember it is the medication that is making you feel that way and it will pass (ask anyone who has ever had to take malaria tablets...but we don't judge people who take them!) Perserverance can be the hardest part but the benefits will far outweigh those first few days. If you're not sure about Prozac discuss alternatives with your doctor. There are so many other options now....its just that Prozac has a high profile and you will always hear good and bad stories about any drug. Good luck.

Meg
28-07-04, 14:57
I took it and it did well. It does take a litte while to settle on it so expect that ...It's like having a ready brek glow surrounding you .

Look up posts by Charlie or email her . She's had a great experience . Prozac is also easier to come off than some of the others..

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Purdybird
28-07-04, 15:34
Hi Meg

Could you define a readybreak Glow and could I ask how long you took it for and how long did it take to work?

Thanks

Purdy x

Caz Fab Pants
28-07-04, 15:35
I can totally relate to this as after taking Clomipramine for about 3yrs I felt I had become immune to it and wasn't getting any benefit from it. I was on a bit of a downward spiral so my doctor prescribed Lustral, starting at 50mg.

I took the tablets home, read the side effects which frightened me to death and didn't take them.

I was strung out, anxious to breaking point and in need of some help so decided to ring my sister for a chat. Told her my dilema and to my surprise she said she had taken Lustral and found it really helpful without any nasty side effects.

After waiting 3wks speaking to her finally gave me the confidence to start taking the Lustral and I've been on it ever since. That was about 3-4mths ago and I am now on 100mg. I am much better than I was and the only side effects I've noticed is dry eyes which means I haven't been able to wear the contact lenses I bought myself :(

I know its scary to take the tablets because there's no going back once its in but believe me the benefits will almost certainly out weigh the loss's (spelling?)

Good luck
Caroline :)
x

Meg
28-07-04, 15:55
I noticed a difference in about 2- 3 weeks and the glow bit was that slowly things that had terrified me , I found I could just do without huge amounts of deliberation , preplanning and procrastination. I just did them again.

A virtual confidence cloak.

Meg

Purdybird
28-07-04, 16:05
I wouldn't describe myself as terrified of anything though just a worrier - an excessive worrier!!.

I feel like all my worrying has built up over months and months and my body is on high alert all the time. For example when I should be excited about a situation my body goes into jittery ad panicky mode instaed - is that normal?

I really don't know what to do. Will Prozac give my body the rest it needs so I get on with my life again?

I'm scared that taking it now will mean that I will need it forever…...could that happen?

Thanks

Purdy x

nomorepanic
28-07-04, 16:12
Hi Purdy

Prozac was the last drug I took 6 years ago and I was on it for about 9 months.

To be honest I was so ill when I started it that I did not feel any worse. I already felt dizzy so if that was a side-effect then I never even noticed.

They suggested that it coukd take up to 3 months to feel the effects but it never cured my panic so I came off it. However, it did help with the depression so it helped me in that way.

As Meg said, the withdrawal is less than others. I just stopped taking it one day without even telling the doctor and felt a bit grotty for 2 weeks and then no worse.

I think Prozac has less side-effects than other drugs so it may suit you fine.

Why not give it a go - you can always stop taking it if you feel that either it doesn't suit you or doesn't work.

Take a look at these other posts on Prozac too ...

Prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=778)

Prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123)

Good luck.

Nicola

jo-jo
30-07-04, 21:01
Hi Purdy

Sorry just seen your post ... I too am on Prozac for anxiety and have taken it twice in the past for depression with no ill effects.

To give you my honest account, when I first took them for depression I had a few sleepless nights as they made me feel a bit 'buzzy' but it wasn't a nasty feeling, just a bit annoying that I couldn't sleep too well for a few nights. That feeling soon wore off and I didn't have any other noticable side effects. When I came off it (on both occasions) I had no problems or withdrawal symptoms at all.

With regard to anxiety and panic, it took quite a while for it to kick in for me. I could definately tell a difference after a couple of weeks and now after about 8 weeks I am loads better and haven't had a panic attack for about 6 weeks. It isn't a total 'cure' and I still suffer anxiety from time to time but its nowhere near as bad as it was and I can do most things now - e.g. go out to the pub, get on a train, go shopping, out for a meal, walking the dogs etc. The first couple of weeks are hard because it doesn't work straight away for most people and its easy to confuse your panicky/anxious feelings with side effects.

Personally, I would recommend it and quite stongly. My way of thinking is that I don't have to feel like I did and if there is a way to stop it, then I would give it a go. I understand that it can be a difficult decision to start taking meds but hey - you'd take a paracetamol if you had a headache wouldn't you? So is there really anything wrong with taking medicine to help maintain an optimum chemical balance in your nervous system?

If you do decide to go ahead, make sure you make an appointment to see your doc after a couple of weeks so that you can both review your progress and so that you get chance to air any concerns or issues that you may have. If you do think that you may be suffering side-effects in the first week or so, they will almost certainly pass once your body adjusts but your doctor may give you some diazepam to help you through if this is the case. Chances are though that you may sail through and will be feeling better in no time.

Good luck, whatever you decide :D

Lots of love Jo xxx

cathycrumble
05-02-12, 17:54
Hi Purdy

Prozac was the last drug I took 6 years ago and I was on it for about 9 months.

To be honest I was so ill when I started it that I did not feel any worse. I already felt dizzy so if that was a side-effect then I never even noticed.

They suggested that it coukd take up to 3 months to feel the effects but it never cured my panic so I came off it. However, it did help with the depression so it helped me in that way.

As Meg said, the withdrawal is less than others. I just stopped taking it one day without even telling the doctor and felt a bit grotty for 2 weeks and then no worse.

I think Prozac has less side-effects than other drugs so it may suit you fine.

Why not give it a go - you can always stop taking it if you feel that either it doesn't suit you or doesn't work.

Take a look at these other posts on Prozac too ...

Prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=778)

Prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123)

Good luck.

Nicola

Nicola I have read about you being on prozac and you coming off it I cant stand the sickness and the mornings and I cant eat and it has not helped my anxiety I just wandered after you stoped taking it what did you go on or did you stop meds altogether? and How did you help yourself after that?

I am waiting for CBT seems to be taking ages. just got to wait.

Cathy xx

LadyJane
09-02-12, 06:06
I have been on many AD and have never had side effects before.
I am having side effects on pozac, however, they differ every 3 days.
first 3 days I felt as though I was floating, no anxiety and i felt fantasic, for the first time in many years i slept like a baby!!!
Next 4 days I battled with sweating, felt agitated and annoyed.
Next 4 days felt anxious and worried and VERY PAINFUL breasts.
Today is Day 11 and i can finally say that i am feeling better. no dizziness, no worry, no anxiety.

Idid go back to the doc to check if this med does not agree with me as i was worried about the side effects, he said that it is normal, different people adapt differently but to stick to them....

keep a positive mindset and look at the bigger picture and the desired outcome.

if you dont try you will never know. we are all here to help and give advise.

hang in there!
xxx